Part 104 (Fallen)

Only a couple days after the wedding, Frigga called us down to the healing wing.

In the far back corner, in a room that was fully guarded both by palace staff and Frigga's own magic, Odin laid peacefully in his sleep.

"When did this happen?" Loki asked in a hushed whisper.

"He fell in his sleep last evening." She responded just as softly, though I could tell she was slightly panicked. "You need to go take the throne. I will remain with your father until he wakes."

"He's never fallen without notice." Loki responded.

"He's also never held it off for this long." Frigga reasoned quickly, trying to ease her son's worries. "We knew this might happen. It's nothing we didn't plan for. Now, go."

As she shooed Loki away to the throne, he gave me an uneasy look.

"You've got everything under control, love." I cooed at him, giving him a soft smile. "I love you; you'll do amazing. I should make sure the healing wing is in order."

"You'll be with me soon?" He asked softly, his voice a near whisper as his frantic feelings bounced around the room.

"Absolutely, love. If you need anything at all before I finish.." I stopped to tap my temple, earning a soft chuckle from the god.

"Alright, dove." He leaned down and pressed a ghost of a kiss on my lips, his hand squeezing mine before he teleported away.

"Is there anything I can do here, mother?" I asked Frigga softly, my hand falling upon her shoulder as she sat beside Odin.

A sad smile fell onto her lips as she looked up at me, "What you do every day is more than enough, darling. The healing wing and Loki, those are yours to worry about." She looked back at Odin, "And he is mine."

I left Frigga to be with Odin in peace, making quick work of getting the ninnies updated and prepped for having control of the wing in Frigga's absence.

"Will you be assuming the queen's other duties?" One asked me softly.

I nodded. "Since Loki is king, I will be expected to fulfill the Allmother's duties until the Allfather wakes. I will be available to you all, but I do need your best in this situation. You cannot rely on my abilities alone."

They all nodded and hummed their understanding, before dispersing to get to work.

How is it going, love?

I asked the question not sure if I'd get a response from Loki, unsure what exactly he was dealing with in the moment, but the response came quickly.

The court is nervous, I can tell.

Their nerves are unimportant, I'm asking how you are.

The buffoons are already thinking of chaos.

I sighed at that, rubbing a palm down my face. Loki already insulting the court meant his temper likely wouldn't hold out much longer.

"I will be back." I called out to the women in the healing wing, before teleporting to the throne room.

They were, indeed, thinking of chaos. The thoughts radiated so loud I hardly had to try to read them, making me huff. Loki, already sensing my presence, shot me a grateful look as he motioned for me to come closer to him.

I had never been so close to the throne before. Hel, I hadn't ever been up the staircase.

The thoughts silenced as I ascended, as did the voices of the court. Loki took my hand in his as I went to sit beside him, but surprised me by forcing my perch on his right leg.

You truly could not have come at a better time.

His voice sighed in my head, making me smirk slightly as I turned my head to look at him.

I left you alone for all of an hour, Lo.

And, yet, in that hour these imbeciles have continuously asked why the Allfather has fallen early. As if I'm to know.

You think they're suspicious of you?

How perceptive, Dove. He thought back with an eye roll.

I sighed as I looked back at the gentlemen before us, who almost all shifted uneasily. All but Tyr, of course.

As the leader of the Einherjar, he was the Allfather's closest confidant aside from his wife. He was likely expecting this, having been informed the Allfather had chosen Loki to act as king in his absence.

"Speak." Loki tutted, rolling his eyes as the dead silence continued in the air. "Are we to sit here in silence all afternoon?"

"Forgive us, my... King." One cleared his throat. "We simply wished to understand the Allfather's thoughts behind this arrangement."

Loki looked at me and a twinge of anxiety shot through me. I didn't want to speak to any of these people, I'd never spoken to them previously. Nonetheless, anything I said would be far better than Loki's temper, and I was sure they understood that as well.

"The Allfather wished his son to ascend the throne-"

"And why not Thor?"

Loki's hand lifted, his body beginning to shift forward before I shot a hand down to his. Loki nearly seethed as his jaw shifted back and forth, but I continued.

"Prince Thor has proven himself less than willing to stay in our realm for long periods, has he not?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "He loves Asgard, certainly, but he has spent the last several years as a champion of Midgard, a title he is not yet interested in withdrawing himself from. Thus, I'd think it's rather obvious he has no intention to take the throne at this time or any other time in the near future."

They all sat there for a moment, clearly processing as Loki's hand found it's way to my hip.

You should control that temper of yours, love.

Loki's hand tightened on my hip as the thought registered to him.

They should control their incessant need to over-speak when it comes to my wife.

The smile that fell upon my lips was impossible to avoid as I looked back over at Loki, who's court face broke into a smirk for only a short second,

"Any other unnecessary questions before we begin? I'm growing quite tired of my time being wasted on this foolishness." He sighed as he looked back at the men,

Tyr was the only one to speak now, "My king, I must encourage my departure. The newest fleet are meant for their trials this afternoon."

"You're dismissed, Tyr."

The large Asgardian bowed before he went towards the large set of double doors, exiting the room before any of the other uneasy courtsmen could find the courage to speak once again.

"No other further questions? Then let's begin."