9

"Uh, hi, guys, I uh, thave a new s-stagehand He's uh going to sub for David whil he's in Japan. I, uh... yeah." He retreated backwards a little bit. It did not escape notice how nervgous and sitressed Buster was.

"Hello, everyone! I am going to be taking David Flowerson's place as a stagehand here at the theater. I'm Rui Rivers, I was friends with Buster's mom." a koala a few inches taller than Buster said. Rui had a birthmark on his left cheek and wore a too-short shirt with sleeves that reached his elbows. He had on baggy jeans as well. His eyes were dark brown and he had a proud smile on his face as he elbowed Buster behind him discreetly. Buster made no reaction to the ribbing.

Everyone was instantly taken by the new koala. He was, for lack of a better term, hot and LIT. Buster sighed, rubbing his sore side absentmindedly. "Welcome to the family, Rui!" Ash said, being the first to greet him. She was joined by a chorus of agreements from the others. Buster felt hurt, the words came as a blow. Why did they accept him as a psrt of their little family so quickly? It had taken Buster months to earn just their friendship. This stung.

He decided to ignore it for now and went on with his business.

Over the next month, he grew increasingly frusterated. Everytime he would try and talk to one of his cast, they would brush him off to go join Rui as the koala gave embarrassing stories of Buster as a little kid. A blush crept across the flustered koala's face, but his only reaction was to stick shyly to his space with his computer, sipping at coffee.

They didn't even care when he came in everyday with new welts and bruises all over him.

He watched as Ash, Rosita, and Meena - even Miss Crawly - completely fangirled over Rui. Johnny and Gunter were enraptured by his 'coolness'. Buster was sad at being ignored and felt very upset that Rui was stealing his family from him.

On night, after everyone had left, Rui began his nightly business with Buster. He dragged him backstage by the collar, twisting his wrist also. He slammed Buster up against the wall. "I want my money, Moon. Where is my money?" he growled. Buster made no reply. Rui drew back his arm and punched buster hard in the face before cutting both of his ears deeply with his claws.

"I'm doing everything I can, Rui! I'm sorry your parents won't give you the money you want, but I am not your servant! Let me go! Let me go!"

Rui punched Buster hard. Again. Again. Again. Then he kicked him hard in the chest as Buster began to curl on the ground, coughing hard.

Buster had never been more grateful to hear Rosita's voice as she returned the theater unexpectedly. "Hey, Buster, I know it's late, sorry, I just forgot my purse. You seen it?" she called out.

Buster coughed once really really hard before a series of smaller coughs followed. He forced himself shakily to unsteady feet, and Rui watched with a devious smile. "You know the consequences if you say anything. I've already lost my temper on you this time, you don't want it to happen again, do ya?"

Buster growled softly, trying to walk towards the stage but stumbling and falling. "Rosita?" he uttered before coughing twice into his elbow. He began to walk onto stage but tripped amd grabbed onto the curtain to stand there, wobbly. It hurt so much to breath or move and his face was swollen and painful.

"Buster? Are you okay?" Rosita asked, real concern for him coming into her voice for the first time in forever.

He coughed again, feeling blood in his throat and seeing traces of it on his sleeve. "You... came back?" in his current state, his mind was slow and fuzzy. He tried to walk towards her, but his legs gave out and he ended up on his elbows after smacking his nose. Rosita ran right up to him, crouching by him and helping him sit up onto his knees. She tried to get a good look at him in this dim light.

His face was covered in nasty swollen bruises and his ears and cheeks had deep scratched in them. One of his eyes was shut and bruised with a black eye. His arms had scratches too and his breathinf was very labored. "Oh my gosh, Buster, what happened to you?"

Buster simply leaned his head onto Rosita and slumped into her, body shaking with the force of quiet sobs.

.........

Buster put up with Rui for another month, but now his cast never even looked at him. They never paid attention to him during rehearsals. They didn't even notice when Buster stopped holding rehearsals and began hiding in his office. He didn't eat, nor sleep, only drank coffee and wrote endless pages of script for future shows. He had finally succumbed to the pang of hunger and was about to take a bite of a piece of toast when Rui snatched it. "Hey, you don't mind if I take this, right? Bye."

Buster DID n fact mind. Rui spoke quickly and had already left the room. Buster sighed, he would just go for a walk outside. He paused by Rosita when Rui started talking about him. "He though there were monsters under his bed until he was like, twelve!" Rui cackled, giggling wildly. Everyone else was laughing at Buster too.

"Rui, all you do is say false, crude, mean, embarrassing stuff about me all the time. Do not even begin to presume that you KNOW me, or especially not that you know ANYTHING about me because you don't! If you don't stop this and cut the act immediately, Rui, I WILL have Nana have you on the watchlist for this theater and you won't come near any of us ever again. Is that clear?"

"Come on, Buster, you're being a bad sport." Ash commented, crossin her arms.

"No, Ash, I'm NOT."

"Why do you hate Rui so much Buster? You're being mean for absolutely no reason." Rosita said, cross. "He's not the one that beat you black and blue." Bustet filled with anger at this. He couldn't tell Rosita that Rui WAS the one that was beating him up.

Rui joined in for fun as Buster scofed at Rosita's remark. "Yeah, little bro, why do you hate me so much?"

"Don't you DARE EVER call me that again! We are not brothers in any form. You think that just because you met my mom and I didn't you can just walk in here and control my life - dictate it and destroy it! I never wanted you here, Rui! Do you understand what I am saying? I hate you and that will NEVER change." Buster said, breathing heavily.

"You little-" Rui slapoed him, HARD, his claws scraping across Buster's skin enough to draw blood. So now his face was bleeding, most likely bruise, and very stingy. The cast realized something as Rui drew back. The claw marks matched the others on Buster's face PERFECTLY. "I've never been fond of you either, little loser. What do you think your mom would think of you now?"

"You know I can't answer that even if I wanted to. She died giving birth to me and you know it, jerkoff!" no one had ever seen Buster so...aggressive. Rui yanked a chunk of wood off of a heater chair. A big one. Buster knew exactly what was about to happen. "Beat me all you want. You did it to me as a kid, you've beat me every day in the past two months, why would anything change now? Go wild. I don't care anymore." Buster hissed. And Rui began to smack him. Rosita grabbed the wood out of his hand at only the seventh swing.

Rosita stole away the wood and held it to her chest to keep it from Rui. Buster glared. "Get out of my theater and NEVER come back."

Rui didn't move. Buster snatched the piece of wood out of Rosita's hands. "I am so tired of this. I said get out!" GET OUT!" Buster ran at Rui until the mean koala ran away out the door. Buster slammed it and dropped the wood.

As soon as Rui was gone, Buster fell to his knees... and cried.

"Oh, Buster..." Rosita said sadly, hands covering her mouth in shock and sympathy for her friend. She dropped to her knees by his side and drew him into her arms as he curled into a ball in her lap. One by one, all of Buster's friends realized how awful they had been. They all joined in around Buster with warm hugs and gentle comforting, regretful words.

Buster snuggled into the all, clutching Johnny's shirt sleeve and Ash's paw and welcoming and cuddling into Rosita's warm embrace and Meena's trunk. "I'm not mad. I love you guys. You gave me something I thought I would never have. Family."

(GOOD GOD PLS DONT ASK. I DO NOT REMEMBER WRITING THIS-)