"Why the fuck is she with Topper?" Rory muttered to Pope, who shrugged and avoided eye contact with the smug Kook. 

John B continued, "But listen, Sarah, they're coming after Rafe."

"Good." Sarah nodded, "He's completely unhinged. He jumped me last night, that's why I didn't come back."

"What?" Kie asked in disbelief, as the Pogues shared looks of concern- especially Rory.

"Yeah, man. Rafe has lost his mind." Topper attempted to join in, "Literally almost drowned his own sister. Thankfully I got there just in time."

"You're a hero, honestly." Rory pulled a face sarcastically, as Kie chuckled to herself.

"It's all good." Topper nodded, not getting the sarcasm in Rory's voice. He looked at JB, "I mean, someone had to save your girlfriend, right?"

John B nodded, "Uh, that's funny because she's not actually my girlfriend, right?"

Rory looked at Sarah, knowing her response was going to make her heart break even more. Sarah looked at her as she hesitated to reply, "Uh, I'm with him."

Rory frowned slightly, as she sat down next to her brother on the HMS Pogue. They shared a look. John B clenched his jaw, due to utter embarrassment and confusion. Kiara pulled a face, knowing that the answer Sarah gave was not the one JB was expecting.

Topper scoffed sarcastically, "With him, right. I just, like, needed a little clarity there. Are you guys clear on that?"

"I think it's clear you gotta go now." JJ retorted, as he watched John B stand frozen to the spot.

"Thank you." Sarah smiled to Topper, as she wrapped his arms around him and he did the same. He glanced at John teasingly, with that smug look on his face. Aurora clenched her jaw even tighter, as her eyes flickered between Topper, Sarah and John B- who was now walking back to the Château alone.

Aurora and Sarah sat in silence on the hammock on the back porch of the Chateau. Pope and Kie spoke together outside, and Rory assumed it was about their relationship which was obviously not going to plan. JJ and John B were on the deck, probably talking about Sarah, and from the look on both of their faces, they weren't happy.

"Aurora." Sarah spoke gently, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." Rory replied, looking at her legs which were outstretched and resting over the top of Sarah's.

Sarah rested her hand on her ankle, "Is this about Topper?" Rory stayed quiet, as she sighed, "Because I literally had nowhere else to go last night."

"You could've stayed." Rory suggested with a shrug, "..With me."

"As much as you don't like him, he saved my life, okay?" Sarah defended him, "Rafe tried to kill me."

"And I'm sorry ab-about that." Rory stuttered, taking a breath, "It's just him. I mean, you didn't even tell him about your illegal marriage."

"Because it felt weird to say that after he saved my life." Sarah replied, staying calm, "He would've been upset, and he's actually a nice guy."

"You told me." Aurora shot back bravely, clenching her jaw as she felt the burning lump at the back of her throat.

Sarah sighed, "It just felt wrong to say."

"Wrong, how?" Rory questioned curiously, "I mean, John B's your boyfriend, isn't he? You both wanted to get married."

Sarah paused, her mouth opened to talk but no words escaped her lips which Rory couldn't keep her eyes off of. Rory sighed, "Sarah-"

"Guys!" JJ interrupted the moment, as he barged through the back porch doors, "I just got a call from Guffy. Something happened to Heyward." He shouted to the rest of them, "Pope! Come on!"

"Shit." Rory muttered, as she immediately climbed out of the hammock. She shouted, "John B, come on!"

The Pogues arrived at Heyward's store and gathered around him on the deck. Luckily, nothing serious had happened but the man was beaten up badly. Aurora helped Sarah clean the small cuts on his head, as Pope paced the deck. Heyward nodded in appreciation, "Thank you, darlin'."

"What happened?" Aurora asked in worry, resting her elbows on her knees as she sat down.

"I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. He caught me by surprise." Heyward explained, "Once he had me down, he put his knee on my chest and he asked me about that key you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't telling him nothing. Now, did you track the key down?"

Pope pulled a golden key from his pocket, "I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy, just like you said."

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating." Heyward replied, "What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know." Pope explained, "First, I get this letter saying that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet this rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family."

Kie added, "None of it makes any sense."

"Well, don't just sit here whining about it." Heyward scoffed, "Figure it out!"

Pope disagreed, "No. I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth-"

"No, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?" Heyward interrupted, as Pope shook his head. He paused, "Now, did they say why they wanted it?"

"Something about an old cross." Pope shrugged, "I think it might be some kind of lost treasure."

Heyward handed back the key to his son, "You should talk to your Mee-maw."

a/n:
not a very interesting chapter but some rory and sarah scenes :)
THANK YOU FOR 63.3K READS<33