[WOH] (DD) Two Travers'

(04/10/23)
This is another short I had in store. The whole situation was explained in "[WOH] (DD) Administrative Action" if you want to go see about that.

This scene takes place shortly after the storming of Vulture's compound in WOF DD. Whether or not I will put this in after the initial attack or after the counter attack is TBA. Regardless, Grace, Travers, and McManis are regrouping after the attack, only to discover their friend has suspiciously duplicated. Observe the readers might guess this was inspired heavily from one of the ending in Detroit: Becoming Human, but I digress.

Eventually the dust cleared. A sense of calmness fell over the compound, as what resistance was left was silenced. A single cry erupted from the cloud.
"Airborne! Call out!"
It was McManis' voice.
"I'm here!" I called back.
"Rally on me!" McManis led this game of Marco Polo. "Travers! Call out!"
"I'm here!" The scruffy voice of our friend rang out.
"Coming!"
Suddenly and equally familiar voice came from a different direction.
I finally found McManis, he was as equally terrified as I was.
"Traver! Call out!" He shouted.
"Here!" "Here!"
There was a tense pause, as two Boyd Travers' emerged from the dust cloud.
McManis wasted no time training his Bren onto them.
"Stay right there!" He ordered.
"Oh no." I mumbled. Two Travers'.
McManis sighed, looking between them. "Grace? Can you help here?" McManis motioned his head at me.
Probing them, they were both equally terrified, not only because they were standing down a machinegun, but also the knowledge that one of them was an imposter.
I shook my head. "They're both the same."
"Damn animus magic." McManis grumbled. "How do you want to go about this Grace?"
I stuttered. "How about questions? Okay, Travers," I looked to the one on my left. "What was the first unit you dropped with?"
He didn't even hesitate. "82nd Airborne. All American."
McManis took the next one. "You. What was Marvin's first words when we landed?"
"Scouting and Security." The second one answered.
"Um..." I thought for a moment. "What is McManis' favorite weapon?"
"His Bren gun. Obviously."
Okay, snarkiness. That's a Travers thing.
"What kind of cigarettes does Marvin like?"
This Travers frowned. "Marvin doesn't smoke."
I paused, trying to think of another question. "Okay. What-"
"I'm fucking done with this." McManis spoke up, slinging his Bren away. "I know a sure-fire way to know which one is the real Travers."
McManis walked up to the both of them, and shot both of them with his revolver.
The report echoed around the complex, as I was too stunned to do anything. McManis just stood there, over the two bodies. Revolver in hand, barrel and cylinder oozing smoke.
Then one body stirred.
"Man. Fuck You McManis."
I chuckled in relief. McManis helped him to his feet.
"You're an idiot. But I'll be damned if we didn't need anything less." McManis pulled him in for a pat on the back.
I just sat back, breathing a sigh of relief.
The other body lay there in the sand and dust. A traitor, another one of Goldman's tricks.