[TZT] (SA) The 2026 Cajon Pass Runaway

I am not dead guys! And I don't expect to be, not for a good while at least.
So while I am here, I will just leave you guys with a random project I have been working on, because my other projects require time to focus on the story that I don't have in long enough amounts. So with the minute or thirty seconds that I'm getting, I'm still working on the side, but everything's just greatly slowed down. As for attempting to start a project that will require a voice over as well as editing, with the time that I have? Not my best decision.
Between scoring three hour long baseball games, yearbook wrapping up by the end of March, the tyranny of AP U.S GOV, and a couple other tiny things, I've been focusing on school work. So forgive me guys if I don't upload until the end of March. I'll try to upload where I can, and when I get more information I will post it in Anouncements & Q&A.

As for the story, this is a major event that occurs two years after TZT book 5. This story was based off of the Nepisiguit runaway, and specifically after its recorded radio that you can find on YouTube. I'm the story, the 7 years war against the San Patricios has restarted, as well as regular transfer services between the DSUS and the Wooster Compound. Train 432 is one of those regular services. However, because of a perfect storm of human error, mechanical failure, and sabotage resulted in the last runaway that occurred on the Cajón Pass.
The rest of the context is included in the story itself. The only thing that isn't clearly stated is the "*" symbol. That basically means that there was an alert tone over the radio. It basically calls the dispatcher in case they don't respond over the radio, or are on a different channel. That's it. I think that's all the additional information I think I needed to add.
Sorry again if it wasn't what you guys expect. I'm doing the best I can, as much as I can.

Otherwise, I hope you're all doing okay, and keep staying safe even though mandates are being lifted. But do what you wish, and to the intensity at your own discretion.

Stay safe, stay healthy,
Take care,
-FishyFish831

Context

The Cajon Pass is route infamous for its steep 3% and 2.2% grades over dozens of miles. This makes it dangerous for its long and heavy trains, especially for inexperienced engineers.
Despite R&S' many attempts to mitigate future disasters, one single accident culminated the last incident to befall on the Cajon Pass.

Extra 432 was an unscheduled transfer job delivering coal from the Wooster Complex to Gonzales. It originated from Barstow yards, headed by H-1-B 516 "Fort Worth" and M7 7783 "Moose," hauling 30 loaded freight cars. The total weight of the train just under 2,500 tones. The two locomotives powered the train up to Summit Sidings, where 516 would uncouple and head back down to Barstow for additional banking duties. 7783, using the additional C36 caboose compressor, would power the train light engine to San Bernardino, where the crew would exchange and 7783 would power the train onto Gonzales. The split of power at the Summit went as planned, however 7783's decent would be less smooth.

This is a transcript of those fateful 25 minutes.

Participants

Eduardo "Eddie" "Ed" Bowen — Engineer
Was the only man on 7783 during the ordeal. 28 year veteran with R&S.

Cajon Dispatcher — Harrison "Hairy" Scott
Was on the radio the whole ordeal and kept all participants in contact.

Signal Maintainer 40 — Jake Ortega
Roving signal maintainer. Call sign Signal Maintainer 40. First happened on the accident.

Caboose 783 — Edwin Cage — Brakeman
Was on the radio from train 483's caboose, #783. Initially reported the runaway. Was left behind after the first major curve on the pass.