(SA) I Am A Survivor

Alright, so this is not a story really. I was challenged in my Theology class to see if I was able to survive if I was dropped in a random place. I was tasked with selecting a location to be dropped in (first name dictating the name of the city/town/similar, and last name dictating the place/bus stop/etc.). So for M- P-, I chose Minooka, Pennsylvania, at Divine Mercy Parish at St. Joseph's Church. From there, I had to find a job I could immediately qualify for, and housing on Craigslist. One final note, that was not told until I presented an abridged version of this, is that I also have amnesia, and have no memories of my past. So the whole memories and Greyhound bus part is kind of redundant. But anyways this was all just to see whether you would be able to survive on your own, and probably for a later lesson. But, as you would expect from a writer, I spent WAY TOO MUCH BLOODY TIME ON THIS, and figured I may as well post it here.
Yes, it is probably unrealistic, but this was more a proof of concept and a one day homework assignment. I had very little time to research and had one night to write it, I even finished it in the morning before my classes started.
Yes, there are photos that I took that go along with this to make things more clear, but they might end up getting deleted, so I'm not going to waste space and effort. You can search the locations up yourself and piece them together if you want.
Yes, I was biased to choose Scranton because of The Zombie Train.
No, I do not live in Pennsylvania. I have never been to Pennsylvania. I will, in all likelihood, freeze to death on the first night, or get mugged and murdered.
Anyways, here's what I cooked up. Enjoy.

Stay safe, Stay healthy,
Take care,
-FishyFish831

I wake up, in the middle of a cold and frigid night, illuminated only by the front lights of some sort of church building. It's cold, freezing even. I see the great cloud of fog forming even through my face mask, easily ten or fifteen degrees. I look around, trying to gain my bearings.
I see the church sign: Divine Mercy Parish at St. Joseph's Church ... Scranton Pennsylvania.
I am in Pennsylvania.
I pat myself down, rummaging through all my pockets. I find nothing, other than my wallet in my jacket pocket, with only $150 in cash. I thank the lord for my fortune, but steel myself for what must be inevitably done.
I walk.
I walk down the streets, alongside Birney Avenue. Hundreds of cars pass in the night, dazzling me with high beams, but I keep walking. I walk past American Legion Post 568, calling memories of my old hometown. The old Legion Hall, Post 81. I wonder if I could convince some of the veterans for help, keeping my military dependent card ready, in case I should need it. I walk for about an hour, until I reach St. Anthony's Haven shelter. From there, I manage to find a place to lay my head and plan.

The next morning, I go across the street to the United Neighborhood Centers - Food Distribution Center, or down the block to the St. Francis of Assisi Kitchen to get a meal. It reminds me of the meals from my public school days, and is certainly not Momma's pozole, but it'll have to do for the next couple months.
I turn 18 in March, then is where things get interesting. Until then, I will walk, taking odd jobs and whatever else I can get my hands on.
In the meantime, I learn more about the city I have found myself in. Scranton is Pensylvania's sixth largest city at a little over 76 thousand. I heard that the average hourly rate goes for almost 27 dollars an hour, but I know at my situation, I could probably only secure something maybe half that. At least the minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, so I at least have a jumping off point. I have known Pennsylvania is one of the places that snows and the winter, and the weather reflects that. The temperature can vary from 20 degrees to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. While my Palma jacket is good enough to weather the wind in Gonzales or Salinas, it would be pretty good to invest in a decent jacket before Winter rolls around. At least I arrived a bit before summer, and forecasts are predicting to only grow warmer, if starting from low 30s and high 20s.
Even now, walking around the city, I am surrounded by history. The history of the Lackawanna River flows through these streets, cultures and customs I've yet to know. Scranton was also apparently ubiquitous in the coal industry, being the largest former mining place anywhere in the area. As noted by the large Norfolk Southern railways still present a ways west. One last tidbit about the "Electric City" is how it got its name. The first electric lighting was brought up in 1880, and only six years later, the first fully electric streetcars appeared in service. This prompted reverend David Spencer, a local baptist minister, to proclaim the Scranton was indeed the "Electric City." Something I never knew until now.
Once March 9th rolls around, now my game plan begins.
Moving onto Craigslist from a nearby public library, I find
$720 / 1br - 605ft2 - 1 Bedroom + Bonus Room -- 1 Story - $720 (Archbald)
Taking bus 52 up there for only a frightening four dollars (at least it lasts the whole day), I find a small, cozy flat. Notable that the owner also lives in the house, but the rental unit is sectioned off. Asking for a tour, I notice it is furnished with the bare minimum: only a sink, stove, counter, and some shelves. No fridge. However, I am used to camping, I have slept on a $50 dollar cot for the past month and a half, and I am no stranger to sleeping on the bare floor if need be. The owner further indulges me by stating I only need pay for electricity. Nothing for trash, sewage, water, or gas, which is fantastic! The only thing is that there is no laundry, which I can work with a laundromat. However, I have to meet the rent, at a measly 720 dollars annually, a steal in this part of town where rents are easily in the thousand range. With a new home in sight, I set work on finding a means to afford it.
I apply for two openings at the Chewy and Amazon warehouses, working as a warehouse associate. There, I will be lifting and packing goods. I know it will be bad for my back in the long run, but I need to stay alive now. The Amazon offer starts at at 16 dollars an hour, while the Chewy job begins at $23.50! However, both offer the standard 401K, medical, and all the other securities and fair workman's compensation. Amazon even gives me $110 dollars to buy a decent set of shoes! But once again, I have to be 18 to work at either, but they both offer flexible hours around the tyranny of the COLTS buses. If I average at an eight hour workday, I should be well set off.
However, what is a job without the means of getting to it. While it would be nice to own a car, I have to work with the bus system. The four dollar daily passes won't do, they'll eventually tally up to $124 dollars a month! Instead, once I have the money, I will purchase the 31 day passes that only cost 60 dollars, less than half if I paid in daily tickets! I will walk about three blocks southeast to the bus stop on the corner of Main and Filbert. From there, I will catch bus 23, going southwest at around 6:22. I will ride until I get to the stop at Main and West Lacka Avenue, in front of the Quality Hearing Air Center. I will then walk to catch bus 11, on the mirror end of the intersection, at around 2:35. I may have to wait a couple minutes. However, the bus will take me to either the Chewy or Amazon job, arriving at around 7:00. The entire trip could take up to 50 minutes, traffic contingent, almost 4/6 miles respectively for both trips. However, the 31 day pass is unlimited. And I don't have to pay anything beyond my starting $60.
Once I have settled in and begun earning my pay, I will tally out my expenses verses earnings. I will set aside $150 of my monthly pay specifically for utilities, and in case of emergencies. I may also have to start paying for water. I admit, I may take long showers. I can also survive on $15 a day for groceries and a decent, probably home cooked, meal. Food works out to around $1,581 monthly. All told, plus rent, my minimum living expenses will come out to around $21,492 annually. Also including transportation, total living costs work out $22,212 annually. However, even the Amazon job will $26,624 annually; which, accounting for a 20% income tax, leaves $4,412 annually for anything beyond utilities, food, and other necessary costs (Profiting $11.86 daily).
From there, I can go explore the city. I will likely volunteer at the Steamtown National Historical Site, working on trains. I may even get a semi-paying job there on the weekends. There is also a nearby shooting range, just saying.
However, the end game will be saving enough money to buy the $150 Greyhound bus ticket to return home. First to Salinas, then getting in contact with Team P-. Lastly, making my way back to my little hometown nestled in the heart of our little valley.

In short, even despite the circumstances presented to me, I will overcome them, survive, and maybe even thrive. I will be able to make a plan, control my situation, and make the most of it.

YES, I am a survivor.