22. Trapped By the Ghost

The elevator stopped and Steve walked out. It's a law firm where Natasha told him to come. He walked into an office but froze on the spot. " Pepper?!"

Natasha and Clint turned around to look at his shocked face. Pepper smirked at him then nodded ahead," Mr Rogers, please have a seat. "

Steve shook his head to break his shocking trance as he sat beside Natasha. " Pepper...how come you're..."

She rolled her eyes interrupting him," I'm a lawyer in profession, Steve. Don't be clueless. And I'm working on Natasha's case, since last two years. I've collected some evidence and statements. Now that I thought it would easy as Mr Summers has waken up from his coma, I'm hearing something else was going on under the table. "

Steve looked at Natasha and her expression stated that she has told everything to Pepper about Melina. Steve nodded at her," So what do you think we should do?"

Pepper raised her eyebrow at him," That's what I wanted to ask you. I am a lawyer but.... you're already into this case and leading it right now. Tell me what should be my next step."

Steve glanced at Clint and he nodded in approval. Then he looked at her," Let's go and talk to him. It won't be easy...but, let's try. " Pepper agreed to it.

She and Steve walked into Bryan's father's office. He told them to have a seat. " Ms Potts, all the evidences are ready right?"

Pepper hesitated at first," Mr Summers. There is something that you should know. Melina Shostakov is not the person we were looking for. Someone else was behind it. "

Mr Summers narrowed his eyes at her," What do you mean?! Ms Potts, it's been more than two years. I can't wait anymore. My son...he suffered because of her. His ex-girlfriend is the prime witness right? It won't be difficult to file a case against her. "

Steve started here," Mr Summers, there is..."

He interrupted him," And who might you be?"

" He's a calleague of mine. He has followed this case closely and found something." Pepper stepped in to handle it.

Steve looked at Mr Summers and noticed how desperate he's to uncover everything to public. He's a father after all. " Mr Summers, believe me, it's my personal experience too. You're hurting, and I'm hurting too. At least your son is alive, you could get another chance. But it's not possible for me. You're a father, I'm a son. Gone through the same fate. And it's reason is someone else. I'm working on it and I can assure you that I'm so close to find out about them. "

It wasn't enough. So he tried again," Just give us some time. Your son is having amnesia so it won't be easy for him either. You can't answer to all the questions of media. So wait for a bit. "

Mr Summers agreed reluctantly and Steve and Pepper walked out. Pepper looked at Steve when she was driving to her office," Uh...Tony and I met last weekend."

Steve looked at her raising his eyebrow in surprise. She nodded then looked back at the road. " Now I know who had called him during our nasty argument. I think I also played a part with Tony in your..." She stopped herself, knowing very well not to bring that topic again. " He asked me to give another chance. And said he didn't need an instant response, he could wait for me. I don't think those were his words." She chuckled a little," Thanks for knocking some sense in his brain. "

He rolled his eyes and looked out. " I didn't do anything."

She smiled at him then looked ahead. " Sure. " Then she sighed before starting," I saw Carter few days ago, in a hospital. Her due date is nearing I guess. " She noticed his face hardening. " It triggered you? Steve, you know I couldn't have helped you back then. I'm a good friend of yours, but a lawyer and most importantly I'm a woman too. So I had to see from her perspective. If I were her, I couldn't have gone through the anxiety of having a family with a secret service agent. The fear of you not returning home after a week from your mission. It would've been too much for me to handle. "