Ch. 2 How to Improve

Naruto was walking towards the ninja academy. It was now around eleven in the morning so it would be recess at the academy meaning that he could talk to Iruka. Earlier today Naruto had had an epiphany of sorts and sought to make himself stronger but he had no idea how. All that Naruto had done before was beg for a new jutsu and now that he thought about it, it really wasn't a way to get stronger. Sure you had a powerful jutsu but if he didn't have the proper training then the jutsu wouldn't be at its fullest strength and it would take time to hit a skilled opponent. Naruto decided that in order to improve he would go to the root of things, in this case the academy. Iruka had known Naruto almost as long as the Third and had a good idea of what Naruto's shortcomings were.

The blonde entered the academy and headed for Iruka's classroom. It was a little nostalgic to walk in the hallways of the academy and he couldn't help but smile at the memories. Sure they weren't the happiest of memories since he had been an outcast and had been alienated by everyone but there were still some happy memories. Like the times he would play pranks with Shikamaru, Choji and Kiba. Those had been simpler times where he would only worry of what flavor of ramen he would get if Iruka took him out to eat. Now he had to worry about missions, getting stronger and most of all protecting those precious to him.

"Hey Iruka sensei," Naruto said with a smile.

"Naruto?" Iruka exclaimed with a smile, "Long time no see. What are you doing here?"

"Well…" Naruto trailed off and turned his gaze towards the opened window that had a clear view of the academy students playing ninja. Iruka gave Naruto a concerned expression. It wasn't normal for Naruto to be serious. Naruto's fists tightened before he looked up at Iruka again, this time with determination burning on his eyes.

"I want to get stronger." Naruto said in complete seriousness, "I want to be able to protect those close to me and in order to do it I have to get much stronger."

"Naruto." Iruka whispered with a small smile. He was proud that his former student had found a drive to get stronger. Many ninjas had different drives, some had revenge, need to be recognized and some did it for honor.

"So I wanted to ask you about what you think I should improve on." Naruto looked at Iruka with nothing but seriousness written on his face, "I know that you haven't been my sensei for a long time but I want to know what my weaknesses were when I was here."

Iruka smiled proudly at his student, leave it to Naruto to surprise him like this. "Well Naruto back when you were here you had little to no talent in genjutsu. Your ninjutsu was…" Iruka thought back to the Sexy Jutsu and cleared his throat, "Your ninjutsu showed great promise while your taijutsu showed little. I know that you have improved in both of those, your match with Kiba proved it, but I see that you still have some problems with genjutsu."

Naruto ran a hand thorough his hair, a habit he had when he thought of something to be difficult. "So you're saying that all my skills need work?"

Iruka shook his head. "Not at all Naruto, what I'm saying is that your genjutsu was the one that needed the most work." He said. "I suggest that you go ask Kakashi what he thinks also since he's the most familiar with your current skills."

"I got it." Naruto smiled at Iruka and walked to the door. "I'll go look for Kakashi-sensei now, thanks for everything!" With that Naruto ran out of the room with a smile.

Iruka chuckled. "That Naruto… he never ceases to surprise me."

Naruto was currently on Team 7's training grounds. He had been looking for Kakashi in several places but hadn't found him. He had first tried the bookstore that Kakashi visited frequently. Next he tried the memorial stone but he hadn't been there either. With no more options Naruto decided to look on the training grounds.