62.Don't Eat That

Season two finale came out today, what did y'all think?🥹🥹

Shep led the squad to his house, ending the tour in his outdoor seating area. A wooden table with just enough chairs for them all sat in the center. "Make yourselves at home."

Of course, none of them really knew what that meant. They had always either lived in barracks or outside somewhere.

So they just awkwardly stood at the ledge that looked out at the ocean and Lower Pabu while Shep started loading the table with fruits and beverages before heading inside to prepare the main course.

Hunter placed a hand over Alona's that rested on the half-wall. His thumb ran gently over her knuckles. "You alright? You've been quiet." He asked softly.

Alona drew a breath in and nodded. "I grew up on Tatooine where we worked all day with growling stomachs, getting hit and yelled at, just so that we could earn food and water. Here they have full bellies, plenty of extra food to provide to guests. The people here are kind and caring. Everyone is united. Pabu is the kind of place I saw in my dreams, a place that felt warm, felt like home. This is the kind of place I wished I had grown up in."

Alona rubbed her small bump. She would do everything in her power to make sure her baby grows up in a loving home, that they always have a full belly and don't need to worry about when the next meal will come.

Hunter leaned into Alona, kissing her temple and snaking his arm around her waist.

Phee stood on the other side of her. "Not too shabby, is it?" She chimed.

Alona didn't tear her gaze away from the crashing waves as she said, "It's beautiful."

A couple of green monkey-like creatures chattered and came over to Omega and Lyana. Both girls knelt down to watch them.

"They're called moon-yos. The elders say they've lived here since before Pabu was inhabited." Lyana explained, allowing one of them to crawl up her arm and onto her shoulder. It then jumped onto Omega and gave her a head bump, its fur tickling her neck. She laughed in a way that caught the group of adults' attention.

"I have not heard her laugh like that in some time." Tech breathed out, his eyes soft just like Alona, Hunter, and Wrecker's as they all watched the girls and the moon-yos.

    Alona grabbed Hunter's hand, squeezing softly as they watched Omega finally get to behave like a kid. She didn't have to be a soldier here.

Shep came out with another platter of food, setting it on the end of the table. The couple approached him to talk.

"Phee said the villagers here are refugees." Hunter started, placing a hand on the back of a chair.

Shep nodded. "Many, yes. Pabu has been a safe haven for those forced to flee their homes during the war...and others after."

Alona chewed on the inside of her cheek, glancing out at Lower Pabu before turning back to Shep. "You aren't worried that the Empire will show up?" She asked, her voice wavering slightly.

"Why would they? We're a remote island with limited resources. But if they do, we'll manage." Shep explained.

Alona looked over at Omega, listening to her laughs as she played around with Lyana and the moon-yos. She looked so happy, the smile on her face hadn't dropped since they landed here.

Shep looked over at his daughter and Omega. "Some come to Pabu looking for a clean slate. A chance to start over. As parents, you couldn't ask for a better place to raise your child."