Chapter 15: Many Meetings

POV: XisumaVoid
Location: A Cave, Hermitcraft Season VIII

It was dark. Quite a basic, generic term that anyone can come up with to describe the conditions of the cave they're in, but for me it was dark even with all the torches scattered about across the walls and floor of this cave. I could barely see my hand in front of me and the visor I was wearing wasn't helping my sight at all.

Nonetheless, I continued walking through the caves, mindlessly following every turn, climb and drop it had to offer me. Along the way I found the odd collection of iron, coal and copper ore that had formed in its usual clusters about the place. As I went around another turn in the cave, I paused for a moment to place another torch on a nearby ledge on the wall of the cave to try and light my way but still the torches only gave off a very dim light. As I continued on my way I noticed a small hollow in the caves, it looked as though it was a naturally generated room, so I wandered inside and blocked off the entrance with the odd bit of cobblestone I'd picked up on my adventures.

I'd scattered a few torches around the place to attempt to light the area and then I took off my visor and the main body of my helmet, leaving only my mask on. Carefully, I placed them on a ledge before dropping to the floor beside them to rest for a while and see if there was something wrong with the code. I pulled back the sleeve on my left wrist and placed my index finger on the slight dip on the right side of my wrist band, not too long after my fingerprint was recognised and a bright screen appeared in front of me with a bronze border and the odd bronze spark flying around it.

I removed my finger from my wrist band and held my right hand in front of the screen while simultaneously lowering my left hand and resting it on my knees. Momentarily afterwards a list of setting appeared on the screen in front of me, it took a while but once I'd been searching for couple minutes I finally found the light levels and brightness settings of the server. While searching the logs and doing a quick check of my surroundings my Admin settings came up with no issues involving the light levels around me. Still confused I kept searching through any random panel or setting that peaked my interest.

Still nothing.

By now I had various glowing panels surrounding me as I was preparing the server for a quick debug and a couple of other faulty code checks just incase there was something embedded in the code that I had managed to overlook or not think about. One panel in particular was fairly small, roughly the size of a A5 sheet of paper and sat just to the right of the main screen infant of me, its gave off a soft blue glow snd was home to all the current notifications on light settings of the server. It gradually began to glow brighter and the soft light blue darkened to a deeper more royal blue before quickly flapping back to its usual lighter shade of blue, I glanced across confused by the sudden shift in colour of the screen and pulled it over to the centre of my vision. While scrolling through the notifications and doing any necessary checks, nothing appeared to be wrong with it.

'I'll probably have to get some advice on this later. I have a few contacts in mind, maybe one of them will have some sort of idea as to what's going on with the light levels of these caves at the moment.' I thought as I swiped the panel away and dragged a different one into view.

By now I had swiped away most of my panels and other screens and there was just one floating about in front of me. I flicked my right hand up and scrolled through all the information that was laid out that I had managed to scramble together in the past ten or so minutes. Maybe it's just a bug and I'm looking into this too much, I thought as nothing seemed to be connected to the lighting issue at all.

Just as I was about to close the final screen a trickle of cold water ran down my spine as all the tiny hairs stood up on my back and my shoulders tensed and squeezed together behind me. My whole body shivered and I lept up off the floor almost falling over forward but just managing to catch myself before I fell over my own feet. My head whipped around to see if there was something behind me while my left hand waved the solitary screen away.