"What did you do?" he let out a trembling breath, teeth nearly chattering in emotion.

"We had no choice." Clarke struggled to find her voice.

"I was gonna kill Cage." he argued unsteadily, snapping at them in heartache. "If you'd of just given me one more minute it would've been over!"

"Jasper." Bellamy declared, gentle and firm all at once; his own eyes still glistening with tears. "They never would've stopped."

"We have to go to the dorm." the Griffin girl swallowed hard, averting her gaze as she tried desperately to keep herself together. "Fallon needs help."

The hotheaded blonde was paralyzed by the gut wrenching impact of the scene, bewilderment shining on her features— lip bleeding and blue eye swollen shut from the wrath of Jaxx's fist— when she turned her heavy head to Clarke. She was leaning into Dakota's side, who would not remove her attention from the boy on the floor; cradling Maya and sobbing softly as he let their foreheads touch.

Clarke marched over to her when the Thompson girl stayed still, looping her arm around Fallon's waist and aiding the stunned girl in exiting; eager to depart from the mess hall. Bellamy looked to Dakota, eyes lingering on her for a long while, refraining the urge to lay a hand on her shoulder before hurrying after the blondes with a sniffle and scowl.

"How could you let this happen?" Jasper's deadly gaze flickered between the two people supposed to be his very best friends.

"I'm sorry." Monty managed to get out without his voice cracking.

"Sorry? You're sorry? You..." The Jordan boy's hyperventilating sped up, letting out a rueful chuckle as he wept; pulling the dead girl's body closer to his chest.

But Dakota's jaw only tightened, tone hard and low. "I'm not."

She watched as any ounce of trust Jasper once held for her slipped swiftly away and she could feel the horror burning on Monty's face beside her, but she didn't care. She knew what she had said would have a lasting impact for the fate of the three goofy best friends that had earned the nickname the three musketeers their very first day on the ground. The friends she had laughed with, cried with, grown up with. She knew the price, but she was broken, and so were they, so why would she lie? Why would she lie knowing their friendship would never be the same again anyway?

༻✧༺

FALLON'S HEART WAS POUNDING THE SECOND HER EYES SHOT THEATRICALLY OPEN. Sweat glistened on her face, body aching, arms shaking violently before she had even woken up; a cloudy haze encircling her head like a wreath. The floor was blanketed by corpses, all in beige uniforms, skin redder than blood in the wake of the radiation. Just like the ones in the dining hall.

The dining hall!

That's the last place she remembered, how in the hell had she wound up asleep in the dorm?

She tried shooting up in a panic, a gentle hand on her shoulder keeping her recumbent on her back. Her wide eyes snapped over to the figure sitting beside her. It was Eric Jackson— a highly talented, dedicated, caring doctor-to-be. Or, as Fallon liked to call him, Abby's bitch.

"It's okay. You're safe." he assured her instantly.

"Where's Dakota?" the words tumbled from her sore throat, muffled by her swollen cheeks as she continued to pathetically try and sit up.