058 grim reaper

CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT
( grim reaper )

OCT 27, 2149DAY FORTY FIVE ON THE GROUND

OCT 27, 2149
DAY FORTY FIVE ON THE GROUND

DARK SIDE ━━━
BISHOP BRIGGS

" welcome to my
dark side. "

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS DID DAKOTA THINK SHE'D BE TAKING A PAGE OUT OF FALLON WALSH'S BOOK, but here she was— about to fake a seizure.

She had executed the plan seamlessly dozens of times in her head. A guard came in for a routine check every hour, and the next time he entered, she would fake the medical emergency and weasel her way out of the cage. As long as she could manage to steal his gun, she'd use it as a scare tactic to make him stay put. After that, she'd free Monty and Harper and they would book it back to the dorm where the rest of the delinquents were; figure out a final escape plan from there. The biggest downside to her scheme was the idea of scaring her friends so badly. If she wanted this to really work, the guard had to believe her— so she hadn't told them about it.

Her eyes widened at the beep of the proximity reader, her head snapping in the door's direction as her heart rate began to climb. The man walked in, she recognized him as Thorpe. He was short and balding with a big, round belly. The girl squinted determinedly— she could take him. What she lacked in strength, she made up for in anger. With a shaky breath, she leaned back in her cage; placing her hands on her head with an uncomfortable moan— gearing up for the performance of her life.

"I don't feel good." she whined, inhaling sharply and gripping onto the roots of her hair; watching subtly as she caught his attention and he began to saunter over to their cages.

"What's wrong?" Monty intently inquired, straining his neck to look up at her. He knew they all didn't feel good, but it was the first time Dakota had complained about it, which worried him.

She swallowed, guilt filling her chest as she ignored him and continued her act. "It feels like..." her tired voice trailed off, the girl forcing her eyes to roll into the back of her head; enough to where Thorpe could hopefully only see the whites of them.

Violently, she began jerking about in her tight cage— slamming herself painfully against the wire as if she'd lost all control. Her arms went stiff as she convulsed, her fingers curling; the girl using every ounce of energy she had left in her feeble body to make this believable.

"OH MY GOD, DAKOTA!" Harper screamed in horror, Monty frantically rattling around in the cage beneath the blonde to get a better view.