060 cockroaches are hard to kill

CHAPTER SIXTY
( cockroaches are hard to kill )

CHAPTER SIXTY( cockroaches are hard to kill )

OCT 27, 2149
DAY FORTY FIVE ON THE GROUND

COMPASS ━━━
ZELLA DAY

" compass points you
anywhere closer to me. "

EVENTUALLY, AND WITH GREAT RELUCTANCE, BELLAMY AND DAKOTA PULLED APART; sorely aware that reality was awaiting them. They had gotten each other back, and unleashed their hearts from the wretched shackles to which they'd been bound, but the fight was far from over.

Dakota turned her head over her shoulder, a worried look taking shape on her face at the way the Vie girl still stood with the gun halfheartedly raised; traumatized eyes fastened to Lovejoy's harrowing corpse. "Maya?"

Bellamy's features wore the same look of woe for the trembling teenager when she didn't respond. Obviously this girl was a trusted ally, and someone who'd never witnessed anything close to the violence that had just taken place.

It was the Blake boy who tried to catch her attention this time. "Hey. You okay?"

She flinched, her eyes finally snapping over to the pair as she sized him up once; deeming his concern for her genuine. After a second, she nodded unconvincingly. "I'm fine."

"Maya, this is Bellamy. Bellamy, Maya." Dakota gestured between the two, still trying to catch her breath.

There was a beat, Bellamy swallowing and nodding appreciatively, flickering a sad smile her way; one that she couldn't return no matter how hard she tried. He couldn't begin to express his gratitude, he knew. Still, he whispered the heavy words, "Thank you."

The Thompson girl frowned as she brought her thumb to the corner of his lip, ridding it of a small smear of blood still lining it. She placed her hands on his shoulders, scooting slightly back to observe the thick pad of gauze taped to his neck and the one on his forearm. She silently clenched her teeth, knowing they didn't have time for her to bitch and moan about what they'd put him through— no matter how royally it pissed her off.

She shook her head, realizing she had not the slightest clue how the Blake had even ended up in a grounder's harvest chamber. "How are you here?"

"I came to get you out. Get all of you out. Clarke and Lexa needed an inside man."

Dakota knitted her brows. "Lexa?" She was so thrown off by the unfamiliar name she didn't even think to address the fact that Clarke was safe and accounted for— which likely meant Fallon was too.

A weak smile passed over Bellamy's lips. "The Commander." Dakota's eyes went round in shock, her jaw falling open. "I have a lot to catch you up on."

"Yeah, apparently." she let out a small breath, soon putting it out of her mind and beginning to rise shakily to her feet.