018 death sentence

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
( death sentence )

SEPT 25, 2149DAY THIRTEEN ON THE GROUND

SEPT 25, 2149
DAY THIRTEEN ON THE GROUND

GAME OF SURVIVAL
━━━ RUELLE

" are we the hunters,
or are we the prey? "

"EIGHT U.S. PRESIDENTS WERE BORN RIGHT HERE IN VIRGINIA. That was more than any other state in America! George Washington was born here, Thomas Jefferson was born here, James Madison and James Monroe, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson."

Jasper hummed lightly in acknowledgment to show Dakota he was listening- even though he wasn't- who had been quietly blathering on for nearly twenty minutes about Virginia's history to him.

It was daylight now, sunshine trickling through the virescent beauty surrounding them; their narrow path of hell having merely spilled them back out into the thick woods after having marched all night. Their chances for locating and safely retrieving Octavia were growing slimmer and slimmer; barely having anything left to follow.

"I got nothing. We lost the trail." Finn sighed, walking at the front of the group with Bellamy; everyone's eyes scanning the forest floor for anything signaling they were going in the right direction.

"Keep looking." Bellamy adjured, desperation nipping at his tone.

"Wondering around aimlessly isn't the way to find your sister, we should backtrack." Finn concluded after another few seconds, turning to the Blake boy; who resolutely snapped a response.

"I'm not going back!"

Dakota halted when she spotted something tiny blending with the dried leaves at her feet, titling her head to the side like a lost puppy before kneeling down next to it.

"Hey, guys. Here!" she called softly, no one hesitating to rush over to her; huddling closely around the dark-haired girl to observe whatever she had found.

She knitted her brows, gently grabbing onto the small tuffet of cedar-hued fur to lift it closer to her focused eyes; studying her discovery intently. A dense, sticky paste instantly bound the shabby fleece to her skin, not even letting up when Dakota vigorously shook her hand; the pelage piece now stuck to her fingers. Her eyes widened in realization of what this meant.

"Grounders are near." she determined, her words leaving as a shaky breath.

"Some random animal hair tells you that?" Bellamy raised his brows doubtfully, hands on his knees as he leaned forward to look.

"It's not random animal hair. There's some kind of adhesive on this." she shook her head in deep concentration, eyes not leaving her find; now using her free hand to try to pick off the fur that had been glued onto her fingers with the tacky substance.