070 homecoming

CHAPTER SEVENTY
( homecoming )

NOV 2 & 3, 2149DAYS FIFTY ONE & FIFTY TWO ON THE GROUND

NOV 2 & 3, 2149
DAYS FIFTY ONE & FIFTY TWO ON THE GROUND

KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR
━━━ RAIGN

" a cold black cloud is comin' around, and
i feel i'm knocking on heaven's door. "

ONCE UPON A TIME, THERE WAS A GIRL WHOSE HEART WAS MADE OF GOLD.

She knew how to soothe the saddest of souls, repair the deepest of aches, and cure the sickest of minds. For so many people, she was the glue, the laughter, and the sunshine. The one pure thing left in a world of blood and chaos.

But gold hearts can still break, and evil can fill in the cracks created among it's once sparkly surface.

It's exactly how Dakota Thompson found herself staring at a dining hall full of nearly 400 bodies.

400 bodies she had put there.

Their skin bright red, cracked and blistered with nauseating abscesses littering their scarred bodies. Radiation had chewed them up and spit them out, and it had not spared them from suffering before they finally fell still. They were slumped in chairs where they's been happily eating meals, sprawled on the ground where they had been standing and chatting with a friend. A soccer ball was stagnant on the floor, having been contently kicked around only minutes earlier by one of the many kids they'd just claimed victim.

The five stood, staring as the orange light still flashed over the newly established graveyard; staring out at their own creation without uttering a word. Clarke looked liked she was going to be sick, and tears thronged Bellamy and Monty's eyes; Fallon frozen in a state of shock. But Dakota's expression was unchanging, unfeeling. Looking out at all of these innocent people, she didn't feel a thing.

She didn't even falter when they stumbled upon Jasper crumpled on the floor, shoulders hunched, shaking like a leaf as he drew in rugged breaths. In his lap, and clutched between his arms was Maya. She'd looked like this once before, the day of the staged radiation breech. But this time there was no rising and falling of her chest. No beep of an ekg or pulse, no matter how weak, thrumming in her wrist. This time, she wasn't coming back. Jasper's blood hadn't been there to save her.

He looked slowly up to the group as they came to a halt before them, tears tumbling endlessly down his cheeks and dripping from the bottom of his chin; eyes bloodshot. In all the years Dakota and Monty had known the fun-loving boy, never before had they seen such betrayal on his face. It was so sharp, so saturated it felt like it might kill them if they stared at him long enough.