024 whenever you're ready

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
( whenever you're ready )

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR( whenever you're ready )

SEPT 27, 2149
DAY FIFTEEN ON THE GROUND

DEMONS ━━━
IMAGINE DRAGONS

" your eyes they shine so bright,
i wanna save that light. "

DAKOTA DIDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WAS POSSIBLE, YET HERE SHE WAS; GLANCING AROUND the familiar flat she'd called home her whole life.

She knew the place like the back of her hand. The gray, lackluster walls and floors were decorated with the things that made the space breathe life to her and her mother. The faded blue, bohemian rug in their compact living room, the childish drawings from kindergarten by her, Monty, and Jasper hanging up. The lamp whose cream-colored shade Dakota had scribbled a green four leaf clover on when she was little, photographs of their two-person family proudly displayed around the place; her mom's neatly folded pink scrubs sitting on the kitchen counter for when she wasn't working.

Everything around her was untouched, frozen perfectly in time just as she'd always known it. But what was usually her and her mom's sacred little kingdom did not bring her any comfort tonight. She wasn't supposed to be here. She was supposed to be on earth. That was her home now.

"Bellamy?" she called softly, voice coming out so frightened and feeble. There was no response. No movement. No nothing. She peered cautiously around with large, nervous eyes as her tense body began to shake.

"Bellamy! Clarke?" she summoned louder, a panicky feeling rising in her chest. What if it was a dream? What if she was never on earth to begin with? What if the hundred weren't ever in her lives and she was still adrift in outer space?

She took an urgent step forward, ready to search the whole ship in order to find the two co-leaders she had just been with. However, her foot slid against the unexpectedly sodden floor; Dakota's arms flying in front of her to catch herself as she plummeted to the ground. Her hands did no good at their assigned job, slipping out from underneath her the second they hit the sopping floor; the girl huffing as her chin made harsh contact with the hard tile, now sprawled out on her stomach. She groaned quietly, slowly pushing herself up and resting on her knees; wondering why the floor was so soaking wet it had caused her to fall. When she opened her eyes again and looked down, she immediately forgot all about Bellamy and Clarke. She had slipped against and fallen into a prodigious puddle of blood.

With eyes wider than the sun, her body went stiff; her jaw hanging open and throat closing mercilessly to no longer accept air. Holding her blood-sullied arms out before her, she glanced down at herself in sheer horror; her frontside now absolutely drenched in the crimson liquid. She instantaneously recognized the once pale lavender-colored dress she had on, one that would be forever destroyed with dark blood and hastily discarded to rid herself of any evidence. She had been wearing this exact outfit that night; her vision went black for a split second as it occurred to her. This was that night.