Chapter 4

Olive's POV
I could feel Hayden's eyes on me throughout the class. He showed up late, so his usual seat was taken and he had no choice but to find a seat in the back. I squirmed in my chair, trying my hardest to focus on what Professor Nguyen was saying. 

I think he's talking about functional groups, but I'm not totally sure.

Tempted to look over my shoulder, I nervously chewed on the drawstring of my black university sweatshirt. He hasn't stopped staring at me since he walked in ten minutes late. 

I wasn't sure why he was staring, but it was starting to annoy me. I couldn't focus knowing those green eyes were boring a hole into the back of my head.

When I'd had enough, I twisted my upper body to stare back at him. "What do you want?" I snapped, keeping my voice low so I didn't disrupt the class.

Hayden seemed caught off guard by my outburst, his eyes widening. I thought he was going to come up with some lame ass excuse as to why he was being a creep, but instead, his pink lips tilted up into a smirk. Like my frustration amused him.

"Who said I wanted anything?" He questioned, his tone indicating a genuine curiosity.

I frowned. "If you don't want anything, then stop staring at me," I retorted. I wouldn't be surprised if his inability to focus in class was the reason he was failing the class. I turned back around and rolled my eyes before giving Professor Nguyen my full attention.

Something earthy like sandalwood and a hint of lavender permeated my nose, the scent delightful and masculine. 

Hayden's low voice filled my ears, causing goosebumps to rise on my neck."I'm sorry for being a creep," he whispered, his breath warm against my ear. "There actually is something I wanted to ask you."

"If it's about tutoring you, then the answer is no."

"Why not?"

So I was right. He hasn't found anyone to tutor him yet. 

"You should have taken the chance when it was first offered to you."

"I can't change my mind?"

"No. Now be quiet. I'm trying to listen... like you should be doing."

The smell of sandalwood and lavender quickly became a distant memory. Even though he didn't say another word to me, I could still feel his eyes on me.  I sighed. "Focus, Hayden."

"I am."

"No, you're not. You're looking at me."

"That's because there's a piece of fuzz in your hair." 

I opened my mouth to say something but ended up choking on my words when I felt a hand gently pull the fuzz ball from my hair. I turned to look at Hayden, a grin playing on his lips.

"Thank you," I murmured.

"You're welcome."

I slowly turned back around, my heart suddenly beating faster. This is the most Hayden and I have interacted with each other. While I still don't know why he didn't want me to tutor him in the first place, I might have been wrong about him being a jerk. He's still really sweet.

After class ended, I gathered my belongings and started for the exit. I knew Hayden would try to follow me, desperate for me to tutor him before the next exam. 

I was still hurt from when he turned down my help the other day, so I pretended like I didn't hear him when he called my name.

He huffed in annoyance, following me out into the hallway. "Olive, I know you hear me."