Chapter 7

Olive's POV
Parties have never been for me. There's just too much going on. And I'm always getting bumped into, especially whenever I have some kind of liquid in my hands.

I don't know whose house party I decided to crash, but I saw plenty of familiar faces from the university. There were a shit ton of frats and a few people I've seen in my classes, everyone drinking and dancing to the music playing in the background.

I grabbed myself a bottle of beer even though the taste makes me want to barf. I call it me 'trying to fit in'. I was sick of being referred to as "the girl who's off limits because she's the coach's daughter."

I'm well in my third year in college and I haven't made a single friend. Well, I guess that's changed now since Harper and I bonded over art. We text each other throughout the day, sending memes and discussing our interests in art.

Bobbing my head to a song being played by some rapper I wasn't familiar with, I took a sip of my beer. The taste almost made me gag, but I managed to avoid looking like a pariah as I endured the liquid burn traveling down my throat.

I was going in for another sip when I felt the abrupt slam of someone against my back. My drink spilled onto my oversized tee shirt as I lurched forward. Gasps sounded throughout the expensive looking home.

I whipped around angrily, irritated because the frat boys had been playing football in the house and now I was covered in the sickening stench of craft beer.

"Oh, shit!" The football player exploded with laughter before giving his friend a high five. "Cute bra," he stated smugly, staring perversely at my chest.

I followed his line of gaze, my eyes widening and my cheeks reddening when I realized you could see my neon pink bra through my shirt. I usually wear a nude-colored bra under my white tees but haven't had a chance to do laundry yet. So I threw on whatever I had left.

Frowning, my arms flew across my chest in an attempt to cover them. "Grow the fuck up," I muttered.

He and his friends laughed in my face, the attention of the crowd that had drawn in only intensifying my humiliation.

The only reason I even showed up to this stupid ass party is to step out of my comfort zone. And it did nothing but make me even more uncomfortable.

"Grow the fuck up!" I heard a voice growl. Fluffy dark hair entered my line of vision, sandalwood and a hint of lavender filling my nose. A flash of green eyes caught my eye and my eyes widened even more.

What's Hayden doing here?

Hayden stood in front of me, blocking everyone's view. "Fuck off, Conrad."

The football player known as Conrad scoffed. "Always the fucking hero," he snarled, shaking his head and turning. "It's not like there was anything to look at anyway."

Hayden didn't say anything as he turned to face me. He interlaced our fingers and tugged me through the crowd. I could hardly keep up, Hayden making a beeline for the bathroom.

I was roughly pulled into the bathroom, my heart racing when he locked the door behind him.

"I didn't need your help," I snapped. "I'm not some fucking damsel in distress."

I don't know why I was stating otherwise when I loved every second of it. I've never had a guy stand up for me. My racing heart was proof of how much I enjoyed it.

"You think I did that shit for you?" He laughed, the action causing me to bite my lip. "I'm not going to sit there and let those assholes look at you like a fucking piece of meat. You're worth more than that."