Part 21: The Truth

"Clem... baby" I sincerely whispered to her, taking in a deep breath while I took ahold of her small hand. She stared up at me with her big doe eyes, scanning my anxious face, gulping at every second. I peered up at Hannibal for a moment, who was patiently waiting behind Clementine while her and I were seated on his couch. He gave me one assuring nod, which gave me no comfort but confidence instead. I then put my attention back on Clementine, who seemed confused and also frightened to my face.

"What?" She questioned back, her eyebrows furrowed while she looked up at me.

"So... mummy and daddy" I managed to speak through my teeth, swallowing the lump in my throat.
"They're not coming back" I forced out. The longful silence made seconds feel like minutes, and minutes felt like hours. She just stared with the same furrowed eyebrows.

"I don't understand" she spoke through her developing tears. Seeing her become emotional, suddenly triggered for me to become emotional.

"They're gone... baby" I coughed up. Almost instantly, she threw her tiny body against mine, attempting to wrap her arms around me as she burrowed her head into my chest - breaking down. I held her tighter than I ever had before, battling my tears and losing. I managed to raise my eyes up to Hannibal, seeing him spectating Clementine and I.

"So call me maybe!" Mia began chanting, turning up the speaker to max in my kitchen, clapping to the music with 5 year old Clem laughing up at her.
"Hey, I just met you..."

"AND THIS IS CRAZY!" I sprinted to the kitchen, almost colliding with the kitchen counter however my skid on the floor saved me. Jumping to my feet, Mia and I wrapped our arms around each other, using utensils we scavenged for around the kitchen, performing a concert for Clementine.

"SO HERES MY NUMBER!"

Hannibal's POV

"So can you call me back, please Hannibal?"

I fiddled with my phone in my hands, allowing Alana's message to sink in. While I was deep in my thoughts, I wasn't aware of my door creaking open and for Clementine to reveal her little self to me. I gave her a warm smile, sitting up from my office chair and placing my phone onto the table.

"Hello, dear. How are you?" I asked her politely, even though I already knew the answer. She kept her favourite teddy close by her chest, swaying her little body side to side as she stood in front of me with no smile on the Face I could never get a smile off.

"Where's Gracie?" Is all she responded with, her voice sounded like it was a broken box due to its croaking - an aftermath to her long flow of tears.

"She had duties to attend to" I replied back to her, slanting my head over at her. She gave me a few nods, directing herself to leave my office.
"Are you fond of trifle made by yours truly?" I teased her. Her ears pricked up by the name of dessert, turning her head over at me with eager eyes.
"I take that as a yes" I chuckled to myself, going to take ahold of her little hand.

Graces POV

Tess stared down into her coffee cup, feeling the pottery with her thumb slowly. I never once saw Tess so emotionless, she was always either too much of something and now she looks like a blank canvas. She had no thoughts behind those eyes, or life as a matter of fact. The tension in the house felt awkward, and lonely. The siblings lived together, their parents lived elsewhere in the world but I wasn't one to care where.

"I'm... so sorry about Kenny, I really am" I whispered to her sincerely, slowly reaching my arm out to shoulder. As much as I wasn't a fan of Tess, I can't help but blame myself for the pain I've put her Through however Kenny did deserve the karma - just like Hannibal said. Once I placed my hand on her shoulder, her chest began to rise up and down rapidly, as did her breaths. In an instant, she broke down onto me. Gripping onto my coat, wiping her dirty nose with its fabric as she intolerably sobbed on me. With hesitation, I patted her back.