Part 2: Why Cant I See You?

"But then I said... why the fuck would you come here?" My dad ranted, slurping his coffee after he woke up from his 10 hour sleep, more like his come down. My mother then chuckled in last nights outfit, her shiny top and leather skirt. When I was young, I aspired to be like her, to have her brunette beach curls and beautiful face but now that I'm older, I wish to be everything but her. I shot a glare at the two, who were enjoying their conversation whereas I was feeding their children. My mother was 46, my dad was 50 and the reason Vincent and I shared a 10 year gap was because frankly.. we were all mistakes. I poured Clementine's cereal for her, then her milk as she popped herself up onto the stool. I glanced over at the Empty stool and untouched bowl, where Vincent should be.

"VINCE! BREAKFAST!" I screamed up the stairs, racing to switch my shirts. I threw off my pyjama shirt then put on my buttoned shirt, preparing for my shift. I hopped back into the kitchen, putting my brunette hair into a ponytail. Clementine swayed her feet side to side, bobbing her head as she gave herself spoonfuls at a time.

"I'm learning about volcanos today, mummy" she held a bright smile on her face, ignoring the cheerio on her chin. I picked it off, rubbing away the remaining milk on her face then ran back upstairs to get Vincent.

"Interesting, sweetie" my mum replied in a high pitched tone, however she turned over to my dad then continued on with their inappropriate conversation.
"He then said to me I'll fucking kill you if I didn't give his bag back, did I do it? No" she grunted, slurping her coffee.

I did three aggressive knocks on Vincent/clementines door before abruptly entering, to see Vincent still fast asleep even though he's responsible to get himself up, since he's nearly 17. I rolled my eyes angrily, adjusting my escaped strands of hair behind my ear. I hurried over, pulling the pillow from under his head and hit him in the face with it with all force. He faintly squinted his eyes up at me, his bed head worse than usual.

"Next time, it'll be my shoe" I threatened him, raising his slipper I found on the floor at him. He did a tired chuckle, raising his hand in case he needed to defend himself. I dropped it beside him, with a playful smile.
"Get up or else I will beat you with a slipper" I whispered to him, then made my way out the room before stepping on one of his Lego pieces. I let out a yelp, hopping on one foot while I held onto my injured toe.
"Vincent, clean up After yourself!" I cried, tossing the Lego piece else where in the room.

———

Vincent bikes himself to school, he said it's embarrassing to be seen with me - he's too cool for me now, sadly. However, I still have Clem who was sat in the backseat, peering out the window with her lunchbox on her lap. I often glanced between the windshield and the rear mirror to check up on her.

"Some eye spy?" I playfully asked her, giving her a smile. She shook her head at me while giggling.

"I'm too old now, Gracie" she reminded me, playing with her plaited hair.

"Oh yes! I forgot..." although I know she's only saying it, it still felt like someone just burnt my heart. I don't want her to grow up, I want her to stay like this until the end of time.
"Are you excited to learn about volcanoes?" I questioned her, holding onto the steering wheel. She nodded her head over at me, wiping her tired eyes.

"Have we ever seen a volcano?" She asked me. I let out a faint giggle while shaking my head. We've never been anywhere else except Baltimore really, we sometimes had a vacation here and there but I've had 2 in my lifetime, 1 with Vincent and 1 being an only child.

"One day, maybe" I whispered to her.

———

I rushed to park my car, squeezing in between two obnoxiously parked vehicles. However, my car was a dump so they can bump into it as much as they'd like.... Well, maybe not. I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat, rummaging through to find some makeup products. I adjusted my rear view to me, to reveal Mia behind me. She sat with her legs crossed, looking into my eyes through the mirror. My heart skipped a beat, as did my breath but I had to promise myself she isn't there. I tried my best to apply mascara onto myself, delicately applying it to my lashes.