Part 5: The Home Introduction

Hannibal's POV

As I approached Graces front door, I took in its exterior of the house. The bricks were a beige tone, with a few grand windows here and there. It was a simple, but charming home - if only the plants were properly cared for. I knocked 4 times in a polite manner, then patiently waited while adjusting my tie. A few moments went by, but no sounds from inside were present like it was a ghost house. I went to knock again, until the door swung open and a drunk woman stumbled out, landing flat on her face right beside me, causing me to jump out the way once I saw her foot get caught in the door frame. I stared down at her, one eyebrow raised in an attempt to process what just happened. She let out a long, weak groan as she still didn't move. Then, i heard elephant footsteps coming from the stairs. Due to curiosity, I peered my head into the house to see Grace pacing over. She glanced over at me and her eyes suddenly went wide as she stopped in her tracks, stopping her speedy steps to aid her sick mother. I flashed her a smile, however she was still stunned - she must be still embarrassed from her scene earlier today.

"Good evening, Grace" I spoke to her, my tongue clicking at the roof of my mouth. She tucked some escaped strands of hair behind her ear, now taking steps over to her mother.

"I didn't think I'd see you here" she replied back in a soft tone, always looking down at her feet. I slanted my head over at her, while she leaned down to take her mothers left arm and I hurried over to take her mothers right arm. Once she noticed my hand on her mum, she finally raised her head back up at me revealing those eyes I failed to see in todays session.
"Thanks" she added on, giving me a forced smile.
"3, 2, 1" she counted then we both hauled her mother back onto her feet. The two ladies let out groans, one because of the fast movement interfering with whatever ghastly thing she's put into her system today whereas the other grunt was a fatigued grunt. We both put an arm around our necks as Graces mother's - Natalie - head was dropped. We hauled her onto the couch, going rag doll. Grace took a few tired steps back, her hands on her hips and she nearly rolled over a glass bottle however I was here to save her from a nasty fall. I swooped to grab her arm, allowing her to catch her balance on me.

Graces POV

I kept switching my eyes between Hannibal's hand over me and his face, I felt such shame whenever I saw his face. It keeps replaying the scene I caused in his office, over and over again. After a few moments of awkward silence, he finally let me go and his eyes dawned onto my sick mother, who was groaning and moaning as she kept rolling around.

"They're not always drunk" I confessed, breaking the awkward silence while I played with my fingers. The doctors eyes peered down at my hands, then back up at my anxious face.

"I've seen worse" he reminded me, since he caught onto my paranoia of judgement. I gave him a soft smile, then hand motioned to him, signalling 'come into the kitchen' in order to not disturb my mum.

———

I let out a long sigh, leaning on the kitchen counter then running my hands through my hair.

"Where are the children?" He asked me, taking strolls around my home taking in its design, however I knew it wasn't his style, especially with the over flowed sink and empty cans scattered around - I don't have much time on my hands to clean.

"Vincent's with his girlfriend upstairs and clems at an after school club" I informed him, spectating his moves. He gave me a slight nod as a response, licking his lips before looking down at me.

"You did not arrive to your session?" He slanted his head at me. Instantly, I felt more shame sink into me.

"Umm... yeah" I stuttered, my body going tense slightly since I felt so small around him.
"I should've called but..." I lost my tongue.