House of the Dragon

Chapter Ninety-Four~ House of
the Dragon

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•

"And what did he say?" Aegon questioned. "Is he going back to the north?"

They were traveling in a carriage toward kingslanding.

"Aegon, I told you, Stark won't turn his back on the blacks, even if they have died out." Rhaella said. "They had archers and they threatened Vermithor."

"What does Aemond say?" Aegon sighed.

Rhaella took a breath. She had noticed how Aegons mind seemed to be slipping away, he would speak with people who were not in the room, forget half of his clothes in the mornings and whenever people made comments on it, he would loose his temper to the extent that Dragonstone was now down half of its servants.

In order to avoid his temper, because it was something she was not in the mood for, she played along with his unfortunate fantasies and hallucinations. Maybe it was cruel, but cruelty never bothered her. "Aemond believes it best you regroup your small council to have them prepare your army, but do not let them dictate you and come to me for advice."

"Helaena says the same." Aegon muttered, pouring himself another cup of wine.

"What do you mean?" Rhaella questioned. It was rare he mentioned his wife, but when he did he often created a picture she never believed he could paint.

"She says I should listen to you, she thinks you can stop it." Aegon said. "That you will stop her dreams coming to haunt her, and all I have to do is listen." His sad purple gaze met hers. "Gods I wish you were me, you and Aemond are far better suited to this than I."

It was true. If Aemond has been the one crowned, then this so called dance of dragons would never of lasted as long as it had. Aemon would have burned down the armies and Rhaella would have poisoned the minds of many. Aegon and Helaena could not be less suited if they tried.

"Well then take her advice." Rhaella said. "Don't make any rash decisions without coming to me."

"I should've been better for Helaena." Aegon sighed. "It was cruel of me to neglect her out of spite to mother." He told her. "Aemond loves you and you love him, but you mirror one another, Helaena and I are too different to love each other in the way you love him."

Rhaella let his words bury her in a blanket of sadness. He was right. Helaena and Aegon were both broken souls with hearts that did not fit together, Aemond and Rhaella were just as. broke, except their hearts had managed to become one.

"Your grace." Came the voice of Larys strong. "The men have captured the one responsible for the murder of the Dragons, would you like for him to be sent to the dungeons?"

They had stopped on a hill, and Rhaella heard shouting and arguing outside.

"He's there now?" Aegon questioned Larys.

"Yes my king." Strong replied.

Aegon reached for the door handle. "Give me a minute." He said, before slamming the door closed. "Well then, what do I do."

"That is the man solely responsible for the death of our dragons, the only thing that keeps the people at bay, show them we still command the winds without them." Rhaella replied.

"So I make a spectacle of his death?" Aegon asked, patting the itching burn scars on his neck.

Rhaella shook her head. "Showing them makes it seem you have something to prove, which you do, but do not let them know that."