Accident

Chapter Twenty-Five~ Accident

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

When she finally reached Aemond it was too late, he was already mounting Vhagar, instructing her to take flight.

Vermithor could sense Rhaella's worry, and he growled and groaned at the sense of uncertainty. "Lykiri Vermithor." She whispered, trying to calm him. The rain was cold against her skin, it seeped into her hair and her clothes as she climbed the dragon.

She did not know what she intended to do, Aemond was naive when it came to his dragon, and Rhaella knew from her own experience that once the thought was their, intended or not it would be the dragons instinct to follow.

"Seek them." She stroked his scales once she had secured herself into the saddle.

The beasts wings spread, and he lifted them both off the ground, setting out to chase after the lion hunting the mouse.

"Aemond!" She shouted into the sky, she could hear his tauntings, somewhere among the blackness of the clouds. "Aemond see sense!" She saw the shadow of Vhagar dance past her eye. "Follow!" She instructed, Vermithors wings beating faster to reach Aemond.

In a clearing between the rain and the clouds she saw Lucerys and Arrax, they were miniature compared to her own dragon. The prince was searching around the sky for any sign of Aemond and his dragon, but he didn't expect when the beast crept infront of him, roaring to make her presence known.

Rhaella heard Aemonds sinister laugh, life had now become a game, and Aemond was not playing fair.

Arax was much smaller than Vhagar and carried less weight on his wings, meaning he was faster and swifter. So the young dragon took his prince away from the older beast as quickly as his wings would allow him too.

Vhagar clawed at Lucerys, following after them with Aemond shouting threats into the sky.

Rhaella had to make sure Lucerys got away, she would've been the one to kill him herself had it not been for her fear from the future.

And she damned her human instinct of anxiety.

The fear in Lucerys eyes when she surged in front of him, set off a spark in her heart she had missed dearly. But today was not the day she would kill. "Go!" She shouted at him, he didn't think about it for more than a second and flew past her.

When Vhagar approached Vermithor let out a low growl, warning her to end her rampage through the sky. Vhagar may of been older than Vermithor, but he was just as large and both of them had lived under the conquerors rule.

"Aemond enough!" She shouted, anger bubbling away at her stomach. "Do you wish to cause a war?!"

Aemond laughed. "I wish only to scare the bastard, and to claim back what was stolen from me!" He shouted before chasing after Lucerys again.

Arrax set out a mist of weak flames towards vhagar catching her on her side, before he shot of up into the clouds again using them as a shield from the beast that was coming for him.

Rhaella urged Vermithor Forwards. "Take his life and you damn us all, you said you believed my visions had truth in them, do not be the reason my children fall claim to bloodshed!"

Something set off in Aemond's heart then, he realized the risk his wife worried on, he had been sent to win the support of a Lord, not to settle a score from his childhood.

But Vhagar did not understand, and when she saw the shadows of Lucerys and Aarax bolt for the sky above the rain she took towards her target.

The young prince had given himself a minute to catch a breath, but was startled at the screech of Aemond's dragon.

"No Vhagar!" Aemond shouted in protest to his beasts actions, but it was too late.

Vhagar's teeth had sunk into the young dragon, it's rider becoming a way to subside the hunger the beast felt for war and murder.

Rhaella was waiting beneath, waiting for a sign of battle, but it was death she saw. Araxx's body fell so close to her, a spray of blood falling onto her hair. Then she saw the single arm of Lucerys, still clinging tightly to empty reigns.

She let out a sob. She was not crying at the death itself, instead at the repercussions it would bring.

Aemond emeged from the clouds again. His face was one struck with shock.
He had not meant it.
He had not meant to murder the younger prince.
It was an Accident. That's what he tried to convince himself, but he couldn't help the darker part of his heart and the way it burned in satisfaction.

But accidents had no place on the back of a dragon. And they certainly had no place in a war.

Rhaella could not bare to look at him. Even when he called after her, she urged Vermithor to take her home.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

She knew she should not be out here now.
They had arrived home, on the second hour of the day. And now Rhaella stood with her feet in the sand on the shore. She hadn't been up to the castle, instead she found comfort in her dragon.

The mood was full in the darkness of the sky, It casted a light down onto her, tempting her with half answers that would only make her obsession grow. But an addiction is a burden that so very little are able to move past.

Vermithor knew what she was going to ask of him, and he looked at her with a pleading expression asking her to give rest to herself, stop tormenting herself with things she would never be able to decipher.

"Gaelithox." Her voice was void of any emotion as she shouted out into the sky. "Gaelithox."

When the Old God heard her cries he sent his message and Vermithor let out a string of blue flames, they wrapped their way around Rhaella's figure, transporting her into the realm of unknown.

~

The deafening sound of cries filled her ears before she could process anything, it was all that she was able to hear, it sliced through her ears like a knife to the skin.

But then she saw Heleana, clutching onto something. A pool of blood surrounding her. She was screaming for help, Her daughter, Jaehaera clung onto her lady Grandmothers skirts, who was also shouting for the guards.

Then Rhaella saw her own daughter, crying as tears ran down her face, reddening the skin of her cheeks. She was knelt down beside her and it wasn't until she looked down to what her own hands clutched onto, did she realize why she herself had been screaming.

Blood stained the dress she wore, and her ears rang at the sound of hysterics coming from her mother.
It was a gruesome sight, liquid Crimson left a trail from where they all sat and out of the window. She could hear her children shouting for her, but she could not turn to see which of them were calling her name.

But she could hear the echos of words spoken by strangers sent from hell, she could not see them but their words were clear as a summers morning sky.

A son for a son.

~

When she escaped the blue flames from the gods she fell into the sand, Tears running down her face.

She had wanted so badly to be wrong, that her visions were just insanity and paranoia eating away at her, it wasn't uncommon for her family.

But now she knew something was coming.

And nothing she did could stop it.

She screamed into the night, letting free a wail that only ever exists in the stories of sailors who say they had seen omens of death. It was blood curdling, the sound of heartbreak anger and fear all set free with a scream. Enough to slice through your brain and have it haunt your dreams.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅