Spare

Chapter Forty~ Spare

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

"There is no reason he needs to be on the council." Aemond argued he and Rhaella entered their bed chamber. "You said people Aegon trusted, he knows nothing of your new Guard."

"Perhaps, but I don't see you putting anybody else forward, and I trust Finan." Rhaella told him pulling on her nightgown.

"You trusted me once." Aemond turned her to him. "Can you say you still do?"

Rhaella took a breath, the way his eyes looked into her, so intense and full of a burning pile of emotion that lit her heart ablaze. "I trust you to love me, to stay loyal to me, to kill for me." She told him, holding a hand on his cheek. "But I do not trust your temper, and the judgment that comes with it."

Aemond knew what she meant. It had been his fault entirely that his son was now dead. Hand he listened to her warning not to follow Lucerys then Aerys would never of suffered at the hand of another.
He would not make that same mistake twice.

"Perhaps Lady Clarissa Tarbeck." Rhaella suggested. "Her older brother has voiced many a time that his support for Aegon is undying."

"Then why not Adrian himself?" Aemond questioned sitting by the fire.

"Adrian is a warrior, Clarissa is a whisperer." Rhaella told him. "She's discreet and level headed, knows when to shut her mouth."

"Perhaps I should approach her." Aemond suggested.

"And why would you do that?" Rhaella snapped.

Aemond smirked at her. "Because last time you spoke to her, you threatened to have her mother burned in front of her, because she insulted Elaena's dress."

Aemond had a fair enough point. "You're right." Rhaella sighed, laying down onto the pillows and staring up at the canopy. That was something she didn't say very often.

Aemond turned to watch her. Rhaella's eyes were drooping shut, she was trying to stay awake so she could concentrate on whatever thought ran around her mind now. But she was failing.
It was mere moments before her breathing slowed and her body relaxed into the softness of the bed. The Prince smiled at her sleeping figure, wandering over to the bed and pulling the cover over her to keep her warm against the coolness of the air outside.

She was the most beautiful creature he had ever laid his eyes on. Her hair would make the snow that fell in the north jealous. Her lips were soft and round. And her face itself was enough to make a dying man stop and take a breath, so that they could thank the gods for letting their eyes be blessed with the beauty that was Rhaella Targaryen.

Aemond climbed in himself after an hour of reading by the fire, a book on dragons of old valyria. The very same one he used to read Aerys before bed.
When her body felt Aemonds presence she rolled closer to him, moving her leg so that the bottom end of the sheet would cling closer to her, but he didn't mind, the warmth of her body sleeping next to him, her head by the side of his chest and her arm flung over him was enough to keep him warm forever.

"What the feck am I supposed to say to the king?" Finan questioned as he followed after Rhaella, they were heading toward Aegons meeting room.

Rhaella shrugged. "You needn't say anything." She told him. "You're here to protect me, and by being apart of Aegons private council, you will be doing just that."

"Ye don't really need protection though do ye?" Finan laughed.

"No." Rhaella replied. "But my children do."