Chapter 28

As soon as we leave, I try to coax her.

— Your daddy is with me.

— I saw that. You hadn't told me about this deflowering coif ceremony.

— Don't be angry, Stephanie. I assure you that I'm fine.

— You always say that. I'm proud of what you did, really, but I'm still worried. Wednesday you were fighting in Louvain-la-Neuve and yesterday on a boat. And you got stabbed. Next time, what will it be? Are you going to get shot?

— No. I will be careful.

— In this case, promise me that you will always tell me the truth about your state of health.

— If you promise not to tie me up anymore.

— Don't blackmail me. I'm the one asking. I am the girlfriend; I have all the rights. You are the boyfriend; you have the rights I authorise you to have.

— What is this kind of rule?

— I already told you. That's how all relationships work, you can ask.

Well, I think it's better not to contradict her. I need to read about that. I will go to the library as soon as I can. I am sure that she takes portions of rules and stories to make her own with only what suits her. I never saw my parents nor any of the parents of my friends having these rules. Everywhere, the man is the chief of the house, that's even written in the documents: head of family: always the father. Well, I just want peace.

— I promise you, Stephanie. I will no longer hide my health situation from you, I will tell you everything. I swear I'm fine, I'm just a little sore, but that's it. With the drugs you gave me, I feel good. Please don't tie me again.

— I don't promise you that. If you are not a good boy, it can still happen to you. And if you're not happy, I'm throwing you at my friends.

— How awful!

— I'll tell them your reaction! Although now, you will be even more in the odour of holiness for them. And Marie-Dominique will be hopelessly grateful to you.

— At least something positive out of this action.

— How many times do I have to tell you that? My friends like you. You are their best male friend, and you are becoming their boyfriend model. They just like to tease you a lot because you are so... cute when you blush, so sexy when you are confused.

— Do you think it's funny for me?

— You will get used to it. Let me be proud of you. During six years, I had to face them and look stupid because I was in love with a boy who was just thinking of banging all the girls like a jerk. So today, you must please me and do what I like, it's a small compensation, isn't it?

She is right. I made her suffer so much during all these years.

— Yes, Stephanie, you are right.

She turns her head to me, probably a little surprised.

— Good, then.

— So, I ask a little further when we descend to the Solvay Park in La Hulpe, did you see your dad's coif?

— I don't like it, you allied with my dad against me.

— No, I didn't.

— Yes, you did. You should always be with me. I am your girlfriend, understood?

She smiles.

— I'm so happy, dad likes you. It is said that fathers don't like boys that their daughter dates, but I am lucky. Dad adores you. Mom too.