Chapter 19

She absolutely wants to accompany me to CESEC, so that I don't mess around too much after my knock to the head. We arrive while there is already a good vibe. They sing and drink, as usual. There is the Committee in toga and some seniors. The blues are coming. There is a table in the back of the circle, near the wall of drawings. The Committee settles down. The president launches some songs. Then, he declares that all the baptized blues will finally be emancipated this evening. Everyone will receive a diploma and will be authorized to wear the apron. He explains that as for the courses, there are grades, from summa cum laude to satisfaction. The difference is that no one failed.

— Have succeeded summa cum laude:

And he cites a dozen names, including mine first. Everyone applauds as we pass before the committee. We receive a diploma written in Gothic and Latin. Each committee member signs it. Then we can put on our aprons. My friends are there: Thierry, Yvan, Alex, Oli, then Mop, Valerie and Catherine, Colander, Stephane, Deborah, Clito, Jean-Louis, Gertrude.... The whole gang of big knitters.

The magni cum laude, then the cum laude pass in their turn, and finally, the satisfactions which represent nearly two thirds of the Blues. Everyone is wearing an apron now, and everyone is coming to write stuff on the new aprons. In less than one hour, my apron is filled with inscriptions and drawings. Suzy wrote: "At the best of the blues, a really special boy". And she signs "godmother" and then a cabalistic sign. Cynthia and Carole comment on my "hot body". I have a lot of dirty things. The girls placed sexual inscriptions; the boys congratulate my ability to drink. It is late, they installed the sound system, and the party begins. I join Stephanie whom I neglected a little.

— Are you happy? she asks me.

— Yes very. Come, let's have a drink.

I have two beers.

Stephanie whispers:

— I don't want to be complaining, but please, don't drink too much tonight.

— You're right, I'm not going to drink. Otherwise, I don't enjoy you.

She looks surprise but cannot answer with the arrival of Suzy.

— I must see you tomorrow. I have received requests for a good job for you. You made a good impression in Brussels, and here too.

— I don't know if I should do this again.

— It will be very well paid. Come see me tomorrow at the Cadet, we will discuss.

— Okay Suzy.

I'm going to be able to make nice gifts to Stephanie or at least buy me some clothes because I run out.

Then she goes to Stephanie's and talks to her in private. I'm moving away. A guy comes to find me.

— Are you interested in entering the Order of Saint George?

— I don't know.

— It's a fraternity, one of the oldest. There is a meeting on Friday in Brussels. Suzy has told me a lot about you, I'm sure you will be a good recruit.

I am also invited in several corporations. Stephanie comes to tell me that Suzy has invited her again to be an RMO member.

— Will you accept?

— I don't know, what do you think?

— Go ahead, tall girl. It's good to have this kind of activity, you're a member of a group that lasts, even after university. I saw them last time, and I find it great.

— Well, I don't lose anything by going to see.

— I'm happy, we're going to be able to have student activities, not just courses. And most of all, you'll see something else. I will find you very sexy in an RMO toga.