Chapter 9

We are leaving in Porsche for Ghent. I have the address and the plan to get there.

— What is this story with mom? my girlfriend questions me as we arrive at the Messenger of Brussels.

— She told me that my pendant was too expensive and that you preferred my craps before or the compliment I gave you when I saw you with your new outfit.

— First of all, I'm sure Mom didn't use the word "crap" or any word that disparaged the gifts you gave me in the past. She must have told you that your pendant was beautiful, but that you shouldn't ruin yourself for me and that I was as happy with this last gift as with all those that you had made me for six years, and that your compliment makes me as happy. Am I right?

— Huh... Yes. I confess.

— She is right Frederic, it is not the monetary value of gifts that counts. It's the intention that counts, as they say, and you always moved me, darling, always, because I knew you had thought of me, that you had spent time for me. And your pendant is wonderful, not only because it is an exceptional jewel, but also for its inscription and the whole history which led you to go and seek it so far. All of my friends have or have had boyfriends who have given them gifts, but never of this value. So, again, thank you.

Well... from that point of view...

— Do you remember all the cards you sent me? I don't know how many celebration days there are in a year, including the Saint-Stephanie day that I even didn't know about.

— You kept them for yourself, but this pendant, you are proud to show it off, so it's different.

She has a long moment.

— Frederic, you are not right. It's true, I am proud of my pendant, and I will show it off to all my friends. I have also shown off your presents in the past, but my friends didn't like you, so they despised your gifts and personal attentions and I didn't like to hear anything bad about you. But somehow, they were jealous because none of them had a friend who cared so much about them. So, please, enough on this topic. You are my great boyfriend! Just being my boyfriend is the best gift ever!

I have not returned to Sint-Martens-Latem since I was five, when my parents moved to Genval. I don't remember much and in any case, the village must have changed a lot. We arrive quite early, there are not too many people yet. We enter. A security service checks our names and our ID cards and we will greet the organizers and the owners. Stephanie never really met them. We are in Ghent, but everyone speaks French. It's not a giant night like the last one in Antwerp. We know few people present. I still have the opportunity to meet people who know my father and his family. For once, I can introduce people to my girlfriend. In general, she is the socialite who knows everyone.

We are separated by various discussions. I see Stephanie dancing with someone. I feel a great pinch of jealousy and I move away a little. I'm on the terrace when she finds me.

— I'm looking for you everywhere, she says.

— I was here, I answer coldly.

— What is it?

— Nothing.

I realize that I am ridiculous. She must be able to dance with other people, I know her well enough to know that she will never do anything with someone else. But... it's like that, it's my Stephanie for me. I smile.

— Do you want to dance?

— Of course...

Then she exclaims:

— Ah, right, did you see me dancing with someone? You're jealous, it's wonderful.

— No, I had a little bit of a distraction. But it's stupid.