2 • Fresh Start

Jake and Neytiri had flown to Awa'atlu, the main village of the Metkayina to find sanctuary for their family. When they had landed there, they were met with curious and fearful villagers swarming around them. This made Tuk feel uneasy, so her mother held her hand in hopes of calming her down. Neteyam, Lo'ak, and Kiri all dismounted their Ikran carefully, looking at the villagers. Jake told his family to stay calm and be nice so they could come in as easy as possible.

The son of the chief, Aonung, was the first of the family to arrive at the scene. When the two boys saw him, they offered oel ngati kameie (I See you) in order to ease tensions, but it was not returned. Instead, Aonung and his friend, Rotxo, made fun of their tails, questioning if what they were looking at was even a tail. Clearly not expecting this hostility, Kiri felt uncomfortable and covered herself more with the woven shawl she was wearing.

Next came Tsireya, the youngest of the family. She came in on her Ilu, then dove into the water to dismount. She walked over to the Sullys to see what was happening. One of the boys from the newcomers' family caught her eye and she caught his. They had exchanged looks, which made the eldest quietly laugh at his younger brother for the situation. When Tsireya reached the people, she scowled at her brother and his friend for making fun of their tails, telling them to stop. Not long after this, Tonowari flew in on his tsurak, landing beside the huddle of people. He walked over to the situation and addressed Jake and Neytiri with oel ngati kameie, the couple and their eldest returning it as well.

Then over walked the Tsahìk, Ronal. When she arrived, the mood immediately became tense.

"I See you, Ronal, Tsahìk of the Metkayina." Jake said. Neytiri did the same.

"Why do you come to us, Tsyeyk Suli (Jake Sully)?" questioned Tonowari.

"We seek uturu," Jake replied, getting straight to the point.

This caused an uproar amongst the villagers. Ronal appeared to be shocked and appalled at the request.

"Uturu?" she repeated.

"Yes, a sanctuary for my family."

"We are reef people," Tonowari said. "You are forest people; your skills will mean nothing here."

"We can learn your ways." Jake pleaded.

Ronal walked slowly around them, examining their bodies, from their arms to their tails.

"Their arms are thin," she grabbed one of their tails, feeling for its strength, "Their tails are weak. You will be slow in the water."

She stared at Kiri's hands, seeing the four fingers she had, then proceeded to grab them, showing them off to everyone.

"These children...are not even true Na'vi." She proclaimed. The villagers all started to holler, making noises of shock. Kiri yanked her hands from Ronal's grip. "Yes, we are!" she replied.

Ronal made her way over to Lo'ak who also had four fingers and held his up as well to show.

"They have demon blood!" she shouted. Jake seeing his kids being humiliated in such a way made him put his hand up as well. He placed it in Ronal's face and the rest of the villagers' to show them that even the great Toruk Makto has "demon blood".

"Look, I was born to the Sky People but now I am Na'vi, you can adapt. Okay? We will adapt."

Ronal made her way over to Jake, staring at him. Neytiri then decided to speak. "My husband was Toruk Makto. He led the clans to victory against the Sky People."

Ronal scoffed at this. "This, you call victory? Hiding? Amongst strangers?"

Neytiri had no answer to this, so Ronal saw fit to comment again. "It seems Eywa has turned her back on you, chosen one."