Chapter 14 : Mr. Brightside

I really messed up the order of things so please just ignore the glaring plot holes I introduced.

"Ao'nung! get up!" I open my eyes and see Tsireya standing over me shaking my head. "Good morning to you too?" my voice is raspy and low from having slept. I try to stand up but feel a weight on my legs. Looking down, I see Neteyam lying in my arms with a peaceful smile on his face. I smile down at him and can feel my face heat up as I remember the events of yesterday.

"You should probably wake him up too" Reya starts walking away and I curse silently at my sister's acts. "Ma'teyam, wake up!" I whisper into his ear and softly shake him to try and wake him up. I see him slowly open his eyes and squint at the light suddenly entering his pupils.

"Morning" I speak up in my raspy morning voice and see his face turn a deeper shade of blue and he buries his face in his hands. "What happened yesterday?" he looks up at me confused. "I successfully made you sleep" I smile down at him as I look through the tree and seeing that the sun is already up. 

"We should go Ma'teyam" I hold him tight in my arms and stand up, pulling him against my chest so he doesn't fall. "You dick let me sleep" he drags out the 'e' and puts his arms around my neck so he stays up. "Sleep then" I keep one hand behind his back and put the other one under his legs, lifting him up. (Ooh la la)

"I hate you" he closes his eyes and leans his head against my chest. "No you don't, you love me" I tease him and I can feel his face heat up as he chuckles a bit. "put me down" he drags out the last word and tries to get out of my grip.

"Hey there- DID YOU KILL MY BROTHER!?" I look up, only to be met with Lo'ak who screams when he sees Neteyam in my arms. "No, no calm down Lo'ak!" I try to quieten the boy but Neteyam jumps out of my arms and beats me to it. "What happened? Why didn't you come back last night? Why was Ao'nung holding you?" I laugh as Lo'ak bombards Neteyam with questions. 

"Get over here boy!" We all look over and see JakeSully walking over to us. "Good morning sir, I apologize that I didn't get back in time" Neteyam looks down in shame as his father gets closer and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Can we speak somewhere privately?" Neteyam nods unsurely at his father and then the two walk off to the Sully pod leaving me and Lo'ak to stand around awkwardly. 

⁓ ⁌ ⁓ ⁍ ⁓ ⁌ ⁓ ⁍ ⁓

"I am sorry sir, I didn't mean to-" I start to try and redeem myself but he cuts me off. "Look, Neteyam I know you haven't been having the best week. And I just want to make sure you are okay" he puts a hand on my shoulder, leaving me surprised. My father doesn't really try to bond with me on an emotional level a lot. 

"I will be fine dad" I look at him unsure and he gives me a smile putting a hand on my shoulder again. "Also, is there something going on between you and Ao'nung? I saw the way he looked at you" I widen my eyes as I continue staring at my dad.

"I don't know what you are talking about" I look away from my father and scratch the back of my neck in anxiety. "he likes you back son" my father squeezes my shoulder to reassure me. "Go get 'em, you have training today" I nod and start walking to the exit, pausing for a second. "Thank you dad" I give a him a smile wich he returns as he sits down on his mat.

I walk out and see the metkayina boy staring at my brother. "Hello again" I walk up to them  with a wide smile on my face. "I'm gonna go find Reya, we have training soon" Lo'ak walks away leaving me and Ao'nung standing alone.

"What's got you so smiley Ma'teyam?" Ao'nung comes close to me and pulls me close to him by the hips, whispering into my ear. "Nothing" I can feel my face heat up as I speak, and my best not to react too much. "You sure?" he whispers into my ear yet again, making them perk up. "Lets go, it's time for the lesson" he lets go and starts walking away, leaving me standing there. 

I run to catch up to him but make sure to keep quiet so that I can scare him. I jump onto his back and he screams in shock as I do so. "You dick! what was that for?" he pushes me off his back and grabs my hand to drag me towards the training. For the first time in days, I feel happy.

"I felt like it" I beam back at him. He grabs my legs and flings me over his shoulder so he is now carrying me as he runs. "Help meeeeeeeee" kick my legs and move my arms but this doesn't loosen the metkayina's grip on my waist. 

"Tey, are you okay?" from in front of Ao, I can hear Kiri ask me something as we skid to a halt. "I've been better" I sarcastically comment, before screaming as Ao flings me back over his shoulder to the floor. "You big baby" he laughs as I lean up against the tall boy.

"I guess you two made up?" Kiri watches me nuzzle into Ao's chest, trying to compose myself as I literally just saw my life flash before my eyes. "Yup!" Ao puts an arm around my back and holds me tight as I hear more people approaching. "Neteyam! Neteyam! why didn't you come back last night?" I reluctantly pull out of Ao's grip and turn to see my little sister running at me, just in time to catch her as she hops up into my arms.

"Hello Tanhí!(star) were you worried?" I whisper in her ear and feel her nod before burying her head into the crook of my neck. "You said you wouldn't leave me!" she pulls me tighter against her and laugh a little at her behaviour. 

"And I won't, especially since we have matching jewellery! as long as I am wearing this anklet, I will never leave you!" I explain it to her and feel her smile as she jumps out of my arms again, smiling. "I say we begin, the sun is already up. We have to be done by kxamtrr(midday) because Ao has to hunt before the akula return" Tsireya gets everybody's focus off of me and Tuk, trying to finally start the lesson. 

We all agree to start now and decide on the obvious pairs for teaching, Tsireya and Lo'ak, and Rotxo and Kiri because apparently they have a thing for eachother. That leaves me and Ao to work together, which I honestly don't hate the thought of. 

"Lets go Ma'teyam, I don't have all day"