016. the breakup

chapter sixteen;THE BREAKUP

chapter sixteen;
THE BREAKUP.

ABBY IS sure her mother would be displeased to hear of how her silky blue gown was ruined by salt water and hefty amounts of sand. She, however, could care less, and found herself merely staring at the open abyss of lapis that treaded onto the shore. She didn't even react to the chill of the cold water, nor was she fazed when a brush of cold wind swiped at her wet skin and threw her brunette braids further askew.

The pleasant buzz of alcohol had completely evaporated from her system, leaving her alone with her mountain of sickly thoughts and emotions. Anger, disappointment, hurt — she felt it all run through her veins like blood. Perhaps that was her blood. It's all she ever knew, as a child and even now.

For a moment, all of it faded away.

The world grew blackened beyond her view, and the waves became the only thing in her dazzling eyes. It was pretty, sure, but it was the only thing left that soothed her racing heart. Her breathing had calmed within minutes of leaving, and it dulled down to a soft thrum — a repeated mantra of in and out; her doctor would be proud.

Salty air, cold wind — it all felt normal for a few seconds. Abby wasn't stressing over a lover turned stranger, and she wasn't a treasure hunting child that had disgraced her family. She was her, simply Abigail Laker-Quill in a world of blurred faces.

Another face joined the crowd, and out of the corner of her eye, she could make it out just fine. Blonde hair, icy blue eyes, a bruised and bloody and broken face that was still full of beauty and youth. He sat beside her, uncaring of how his fancy vest and dress pants also grew slick at the bottoms.

He sat with arms over his raised knees, staring forward and absentmindedly rocking slightly. Abby didn't react, and he didn't pressure it. He said nothing, simply allowing silence to shroud the pair.

It was a blanket — cold but comforting. Abby just let it cover her skin and seep some warmth into her bones.

"Pretty dress," JJ hummed quietly. He leaned over, taking the fabric near her legs and rubbing it between his fingers. Water fell through, and he watched it drip with an amused expression. "You think you'll wear it again?"

"Considering I never plan to leave my house again, probably not."

The response was dry and monotone, just like the laugh that escaped her pink lips. JJ's sounded far more genuine, and finally, with one final just look at him, Abs, did she turn. He was already looking at her, his eyes curious and sparkling.

When he got her attention, a small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. Then, he diverted his gaze, staring up at the stars above his head. Slowly, he leaned into the sand, and a quiet hum sounded in the back of his throat. Absentmindedly lifting a hand to trace the sky, he fell into his own world — Abby could only watch him with sad eyes.