014. a normal family

chapter fourteen;A NORMAL FAMILY

chapter fourteen;
A NORMAL FAMILY.

"HOW MANY times am I gonna have to talk to you?" Were the words Abby knew she had coming, but weren't the ones she expected to hear the within the first few seconds of stepping foot inside the Quill home.

Abby closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, trying to prepare herself for what was to come. Quite honestly, she didn't think she could handle this right now. She knew she had it coming, and while she was the queen of avoidance, she wasn't trying to avoid it this time. She just really didn't think her brain could handle more guilt on top of everything else she was feeling — her brain was in shambles as she tried to focus on all of it.

When her eyes opened again, they found the disappointed face of her mother staring back at her. She swallowed thickly, mouth opening to say something to defend her actions, but the words died out in her throat as Amanda lifted a hand and subtly shook her head from side to side.

She knew there was nothing she could say to rectify what had gone down. She'd been sneaking out, committing crimes, staying over without permission — things normal teenagers do, but not things Abigail Laker-Quill does, and she mentally kicked herself.

"I don't understand what's happening with you, Abs," Amanda said frantically, seemingly speechless as she looked her daughter up and down. Her hands lifted from her hips to gesture to her clothes. "You're wearing a random boy's clothes after being gone all night, and you didn't even say a word."

"Mom — "

"Save it, Abby!" Amanda hissed. Her voice was quiet, but her tone was solid and unwavering — something about it frightened Abby. "You never do this — never! I don't get it; what am I doing wrong with you? How do I parent you effectively? Do I have to be mean to you?"

Abby's eyes flashed with tears, and suddenly, her throat swelled. She felt like she was back in that house, with that old man who just beat upon her like she was a pinata. She couldn't handle mean — she couldn't take mean. Not again — not ever.

"No, mom — "

Amanda shook her head, "I don't have the energy to fight you on this. Tomorrow is Midsummers and you're gonna go and we're gonna pretend like nothing happened — and after, we'll have this conversation."

Abby felt her heart plummet into her stomach. Not only was she not allowed to speak, but she was unable to defend anything. She deserved it, sure, but it still felt wrong — Amanda was always such a caring woman and a lovely mom; more friend than parent. But right now, it only hit Abby in the chest like a heavy spear.

She already felt like a wounded animal — must she be kicked more whilst she's down?

And then another thing hit her, and all she could do was scoff in her own mother's face. The ball — her mom's focus was Midsummers. Amidst it all, Abby had forgotten about that stupid celebration. As part of the decorating staff, Amanda gets permission to go — and she always drags Abby alongside her. Normally, she wouldn't complain, but it was different now.