011. karma kills

chapter eleven;KARMA KILLS

chapter eleven;
KARMA KILLS.

KARMA KILLS is what Abigail grew up hearing. She heard it once, twice, three times — and sold! to the girl with the flowing brown locks and a stunning smile.

Sure, she knew karma was dangerous, just like she knew it was real (her second-grade class party definitely bit her right in the ass after she stole that poor kids' pencil, after all, but in her defense, it was a really cool mechanical one she just had to have), but she never expected it to come running towards her like hell on legs, nor did she expect it to happen so fast.

Abby knew she was playing with fire, of course. Guilt hit her like a train and her stomach shifted into uncomfortable knots that made her want to vomit.

She didn't regret it — she'd never regret hurting Topper Thornton's bank account, after all (which, by the way, completely and utterly stems from when she ran into him at a gas station awhile back and he took the last bag of Doritos off the shelf that she was clearly reaching for) — but she did feel bad, mostly because she knew her mother would be disappointed if she ever found out about such mischievous rendezvous from her beloved daughter.

Oh, and find out she did, because one moment Abby was blissfully reading in her big bed, feet kicking back and forth with a childlike smile on her chapped lips, only to be interrupted by that shrill shriek of Abigail Anne Quill! that had her eyes widening and book dropping back down into her bed.

She wanted to run and hide, but all she could do was stare as Amanda came running up the stairs, a phone in her hand and a bewildered look on her features as she stared through the doorway at her daughter.

Her beloved, beloved, daughter — Abigail thinks she might cry.

"Tell me you didn't do it," was what Amanda first said, and her jaw was set in a tense fashion. Clenched, just like her hands, and Abigail feared that her mother might shatter her own teeth if she pressed them together any more furiously. "Tell me you did not sink Topper Thornton's boat, Abby!"

Abby hesitated, "I didn't sink his boat?"

She wasn't lying, at least.

Amanda did not look happy with her response.

Truth be told, Abby was a bit disappointed that this would be her first real conversation with her mother since they heard of Scooter's death. She'd been holed up in her room, staring at the walls with an — according to Darius — unreadable expression.

Abby had tried to avoid sparking conversation with her mother — what would she say, really? She felt like shit for not talking to her, and she was afraid that if she did speak with her, she'd explode and somehow make Amanda even more upset than she already was. Abby didn't want to risk it, so she kept her distance — plus, she was never good with crying people; she always breaks out into nervous laughter.