006. irony

chapter six;IRONY

chapter six;
IRONY.

DRAMATIC IRONY is a literary technique most authors use when they want to either piss the reader off or completely invest them in the story. Abby's never really understood dramatic irony's effect — I mean, really, making the character's future so starkly obvious to everyone but themself? Where's the fun in that?

She sees it, though. When two characters are in love and are practically tripping over their feet for one another, but they still doubt whether or not they could ever be together. Or, y'know, when someone leaned over the edge of the Titanic and said its beauty could kill, right before they actually die.

Irony is simple, and in this case, the three different forms apply to her life.

Situational irony — Abby believed her day would be filled with sorrow, remorse, and grieving. Instead, she spends it in fear, her heart tangled into uncomfortable knots as she rode home and further had to pretend as if she was okay, and nothing was wrong.

Verbal irony — when she tells her mother she's doing fine, and she's deeply sorry for her loss. Truth is, she couldn't be concerned by Scooter's death; not now, at least, since her entire day has been one mesh of gut-wrenching events she couldn't stomach. She definitely isn't okay, either.

Dramatic irony — Abby doesn't think this one applies to her. After all, her life isn't a movie or a book, and there is no audience that knows of every event that's coming.

Oh shit, never mind.

Anyways, all in all, life is just one big basket of irony wrapped up in beautiful, vibrant bows.

Like, for instance, Pope Heyward showing up to Abigail Laker-Quill's house, knocking on the door, and coming face-to-face with Darius Quill, who stared at him with a raised brow. He leaned in the doorway of his house; this'll be good.

Wait, waitokay, how did we get here?

It all started when Abigail wandered up to her house, her feet dragging against the pavement because she wasn't sure how she could confront her mother after all of what had gone done. In such a short time — a few hours, give or take — so much had occurred, and Abby wonders if her mother would even believe her if she explained.

But then she wondered that one simple thing that no one seems to do; the ability to report the crimes (especially ones including teenagers) to the police. Her father is an ex-officer. In Abby's mind, he can help. Right?

She thought about it for a few minutes, her hands clammy as she stared at her front door. She seemed like such a stranger to her own property, forced to rub her palms against her ripped jeans to get the sweat off.