Chapter Ten

"Your majesty, Earth is a small pebble in a galaxy of great mountains. Why do you insist on sending one of your vessels to such an unimportant place?" My advisor Alistair asked me. "Even pebbles can cast great splashes Alistair" I told him before dismissing him. I was seated upon my throne accepting an audience from different members of the Fae court. I'd rather be in my lab, working on my projects. My mother had always let me work while she had done all this boring stuff. Now she was dead though and I was the sole heir to the Faery realm. "Princess the small folk grow concerned for the malcontent growing towards your irrational decisions" Another of my advisors spoke up. "My decisions are purely scientific. I cannot help it if nobody has the same capacity for knowledge and magic that I do!" I exclaimed to the people gathered in front of me. "I'll hear no more of my choices being questioned. If any guards hear of it I want you to exile that common Fae" I told my guards gathered in the chamber. They saluted and sent the order out. My plans for Earth were going to be my masterpiece. The common Fae were weak and a dying race. The noble Fae were a much stronger breed of Fae but were far too limited to do the work that needed to keep the Fae line going. The humans would evolve and become a superior race to the Fae. We'd die out but we would be succeeded by my creation. A human-Fae hybrid. Well, I couldn't die technically. I'd have my consciousness reincarnated into the soul of another. One royal Fae would always exist. It was the law of the multi-verse.
Months later my vessel was sent. An experiment that would cause mass genocide but would force magic evolution upon the leased corrupted DNA amongst the humans. I wouldn't see the success of my work though, it took decades for the evolution to begin and by the time it did my people were at war with one another. The common Fae had realised they were dying out and so had revolted against the nobles. All of them blamed me though. Saying that if I'd focused more on my own people then our legacy, that I'd have found a cure for the magic cancer that ravaged our people. I was at war for a hundred earth years before the last of the common Fae died out. I had attempted to cure them but the Fae were too far gone and I had no success on curing them. The few nobles that were left hunted me and so I left the Fae kingdom. Upon me leaving my magic protection left with me. The nobles found themselves sick with Magic cancer and soon I was the last of all the Fae. I travelled to Earth to live with my creation. To admire its splendour and watch it thrive. That's what I'd hoped for anyway. What I'd actually found was corruption and darkness. So called "witches" that caused their own mass genocide. Mine had been purposeful. What they were doing was pure chaos. I travelled the planet for many years before I found myself a guest of the Hedge Army. They were a hidden society of outcasts. I lived amongst them for some time before becoming an advisor myself. Then upon seeing my vision come true I became their leader. It was when I met my greatest friend that I found out about the corruption within my utopian society. The corruption spread like the cancer that had killed my own people. When my closest and greatest friend, Cornelia, was enveloped by it, I gave up hope and ended my life. There were no more Fae and so upon my reincarnation, I was sent to a human body. My mind wouldn't recall my past and I was happy with that. I was happy to let all my failures be forgotten. To start again, to have a chance at happiness. I would be free from my sins and could only hope that I can live a better life.
-
"Hello" I said into the darkness. "Hello Zero" a voice said back. "Where am I? And who are you?" I called out to the mysterious voice. "I'm you, well you were me that is and this is your subconscious" the voice answered me. "Is that why I just had that weird dream? Were those your memories?" I asked the voice. There was no response. "Tell me. What are you truly?" I asked the voice. "I am you and you are a Faerie princess. Your powers are far greater than any human mind can comprehend" the voice said before letting out an audible sigh. "I made mistakes Zero. I never wanted you to have to make up for what I'd done. Your life was supposed to be one of free will and happiness" it said sounding defeated. "I am happy Princess," I told her. "I have friends, truly kind people. You would like them" I told her. "Nevertheless Zero, you are a Faerie Princess. The last of your species and a god amongst humanity. Your choices can change the fate of not only your people but the entire multiverse" she warned me. "What if I don't want that?" I told her. "What if I just keep being Zero the girl who was gifted by the meteorite?" I asked the bodiless voice. It went quiet, then after around a minute it said "I was the smartest being in the multiverse Zero but I lacked your compassion. I know you'll make the right choices. Be better than I was" she told me before even she faded. Leaving me alone in the darkness. "I'm Zero, that's all. Nobody will ever know the truth" I said to myself before even I faded out of the darkness.