Chapter Eight

I was shaken awake, as was Leah. "Girls I know I said no hanky panky but you didn't have to grow a garden instead" Reg said. We looked at the bed to see it covered in roses and vines. Leah went bright red from embarrassment. "I'm sorry! I guess I got excited while sleeping" she apologised. I waved my hand and they disappeared almost instantly. "That's new," Heather said, obviously not expecting it. I hadn't even thought about it when I'd done it. "Oh yeah, I guess it is," I said out loud. "Well be sure to keep everything you can do to the people inside this room," Reg told me. "I understand," I told her. "I thought the roses were beautiful," Sarah said from the kitchenette. "I used to bloom the odd rose in my sleep as a child but never like this before" Leah admitted feeling embarrassed still. "Perhaps since you were touching Zero in your sleep she boosted your powers" Michalo suggested sitting on the edge of his bed. I knew Leah didn't like Michalo so I was waiting for her to get into a fight with him over it. Instead, she agreed with him. "You're probably right" she told him. Leah got up and went into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. "I need to talk to you" I told Michalo and we sent outside together. We stood outside the cabin out of ear shot of anyone. "I had a vision of the future last night" I told him. "Precognition is dangerous Zero. Messing with the future always has consequences. You shouldn't tell me anything more" Michalo told me, his tone stern. "If it comes to pass it does. I'm just worried having a psychic link with this person" I told him. "You saw the future through the eyes of another. That's a different story. You must tell your hero about all psychic links. They are a vulnerability only we can protect you against" he explained. "Look Michalo, I saw a woman, a cold blooded killer. It was like I was looking through her very eyes" I told him. I explained the dagger, the mirror and exactly what she looked like to him as well. I left out the part where Leah had seen it as well though or that I had developed a telepathic link with her. "I'll report this directly to the high council itself. I believe this may be a member of the hedge army so you need to create a psychic barrier to keep her from seeing the other end of the connection. We may be able to use this to finally catch one of them" he told me, he seemed somewhere between worried and excited. "Michalo the hedge army isn't real. It's a fairy tale used to scare kids" I told him. "They are very real Zero. Not only are they real but they are possibly the biggest threat to witch-kind there is" he warned me. "Put up psychic walls immediately. You can't let her find you" he told me. I closed my eyes and thinking of that vision I made it so my end of it was blocked off. "There it's done," I told him. He looked at me in thought for a moment. "You're developing your powers far more rapidly than I expected Zero" was all he said before heading back inside. I looked up to where Bonnie had been sitting the night before. He had no idea of half of it. I had telepathy and dream magic at my disposal now as well. I walked back inside myself to see the girls all sitting around the table eating pancakes. As I walked over to the table to join them my cloak reappeared around me. "You are just so baddass Zero" Sarah said seeing it happen. I sat down and Reg put a plate of pancakes in front of me. "Thanks Reg" I told her appreciative of her making breakfast. After breakfast Reg had us all make our beds before getting ready. I was already dressed of course so I sat at the table while I waited for the others to get changed. "You changed using Magic because you're transgender and you don't want the other girls to know" Reg said quietly from beside me. "A coven doesn't have secrets from one another Zero. You mean the world to each of them so if you tell them they won't think of you any differently" she told me. "I'm scared to" I admitted feeling worried about it for the millionth time. "Leah obviously knows from how close the two of you are. The others will react the same way she did" Reg said quietly.
We went out to a lake that was not far from the cabin. "This is Lake Eiver. A lake created by one of Coven Camps founding witches over a hundred years ago" Reg explained to us. "She was a very powerful Queen Witch with the power to manipulate the elements. Her twin however had the power to create magical beasts. They were the Eiver Sisters. Queen of the elements and Queen of Magic beasts" Reg continued. I looked at Sarah who seemed fascinated to hear about another queen witch. Heather raised her hand as if we were school kids. Reg nodded for her to ask her question. "Is it true that one of the founders was immortal?" She asked. Reg raised her eyebrows in surprise "That is true Heather however she went missing over seventy years ago. At the time it was presumed that rogue witches took her" Reg explained. "Is the part about the mirror true too?" Heather asked. "Any questions about the Eiver sisters?" Reg asked changing the subject. "What mirror is she talking about?" Leah asked Reg. Our Coven mother sighed, not liking this subject obviously. "Cornelia was my second great-grandmother. It's believed that her Immortality was from time magic. Yet she worried about getting older constantly and so every day she spent time in front of her large jewelled mirror to examine if she had" Reg explained. Michalo and I looked at each other. "Do you still have the mirror?" I asked randomly. "It's in a part of the camp that's for staff only. Now please can we get back to the Eiver sisters" she told us. Sarah asked a lot of questions but the rest of us seemed more interested in Reg's ancestor. I opened a telepathic link with Leah. "Do you think it's the same mirror?" I asked her. "It can't be a coincidence. The vision was of the near future. We need to see that mirror to know for sure" she told me. "I'm going to do something and  I already hate myself for it" I told Leah. Before she asked what I was planning I went ahead and did it. I began to sift through Reg's mind looking for the mirror. There were a lot of painful memories. Her powers hadn't always been easy to control. At one stage she'd even lost a year of her life frozen in time. I came across the memory of Reg looking into the ancestors mirror. It was an exact match to the one in the vision we'd witnessed. "I'm back" I told Leah telepathically. There was no response. Instead I saw Reg in front of me. "I don't appreciate people looking through my head Missy" she told me. I only then noticed everyone was frozen. Instead of attempting to explain myself I grabbed her arm. I poured the vision I'd witness into her head. "That's Cornelia!" She exclaimed. "I had that vision last night and had to know if the mirror was connected" I told her. "It most certainly is" she said. "Have you told your hero of this?" She asked me. "He thinks she may be part of the hedge army and that she may try and target me" I told her. "I'll take you to the mirror tonight. See if you can trigger something else. We need to stop her before she murders all those people" Reg told me. She unfroze time and her demeanour changed immediately. "Well, what are you going to do?" Leah asked me. "We're going to see that mirror tonight," I told her.
We spent time by the lake that day. Meeting creatures that had been created and exploring how the duality of Queen Witches was a major boon for any successful coven. I think Sarah felt like a rockstar and while I was happy for her I couldn't stop thinking about the mirror and that scary look Cornelia gave after murdering all those people.