Las Vegas è Iuminosa

Vegas is Bright

-

"And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel: and they shall do in Edom according to mine anger and according to my fury; and they shall know my vengeance, saith Lord GOD."

Ezekiel (25:14)

-

Flying with Freddie was insufferable. He pissed me off. The night before our flight, he went back to his apartment and spent the night there. For whatever fucking reason, he brought tickets for a 4:30 a.m. flight. We were supposed to get to JFK at four. Yet here we were, fucking three fifty-four, as Freddie continued to pack.

"I can't fucking believe you," I ranted, my arms crossed, as I stood next to Vincent. Coming was Vincent, Tito, Andy, Matteo, Freddie and me. "You're the one who booked the fucking flight, why did you wait until the last fucking second to pack? Andy and Matteo are already there!"

"Shut the hell up," he muttered as he threw in a pair of socks. "See? I'm all ready," he said as he zipped up him suitcase.

"We were already supposed to be there! Think of the fucking airport traffic!" I complained as I walked to the door, taking Vincent with me by grabbing his hand.

"You're not even fucking driving!" he called after me.

Our flight didn't take off until five twenty. We landed in eight hours. We landed at eleven forty (Las Vegas had a different time zone than New York). I was so tried but I didn't get any sleep on the plane. Not a wink. Luckily, I planned ahead and downloaded some movies to watch. Vincent and I watched them together but sometimes he'd talk to Tito, so I'd have to rewind. By the third movie I got angry about it and snapped at him (I blame it on the fact that I was exhausted and got no sleep).

When we landed, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep for sixty years. I was so exhausted. We had a lot on our agenda. One of the items was constructing a deal with the hotel next to the casino. Dad was in the process of doing it, but it never happened. The owners of the hotel knew, too. Thus, the reason they welcomed us with their hospitality. We'd be staying for five days (I had taken the week off of work and postponed therapy appointments although David offered to call me— I quickly let that idea die). Enough time to finalize deals, transfer names, learn staff, procedures— the works. Of course, this also meant we were to meet the hotel staff as soon as we got there so that meant no comfortable airport outfit. It also meant nothing that could wrinkle easily. I chose black straight slacks and a black silk loose-fitted blouse that covered my arms completely. Wrinkle-free outfit. Black, in mourning.

Father & Daughter.

Las Vegas.

Never been.

Not sure if I liked it or not.

It felt as if Las Vegas was meant for the dark. I figured that when I saw the city in the daylight. I felt as if everywhere else in Neveda could be a day-time place, but Las Vegas was 100% a night-time city. Unlike New York, open 24/7, 365. Being here made me miss New York. Made me want to go back. Back to the place my dad lived. Although, dad visited Las Vegas very often, especially when I was growing up. I'd say Italy and Las Vegas were probably tied for most frequently visited by my dad. Third was Boston. I'd stay in Vegas for the memory of my dad.

I miss my dad— really, really miss my dad.

Without thinking, my hand squeezed Vincent's as we walked into the hotel. When he squeezed back, I looked up. He gently removed his hand from mine to wrap his arm around my shoulders. He pulled me closer to him, kissed my hairline. I held my bag tighter in my other hand. Vallet took the car, some member took our bags, said he put them in rooms. I took my personal bag because I was too paranoid that it could get lost, and I'd kill myself if it ever got lost. It contained, amongst my wallet, phone, Chapstick, all that— my gun gifted by my father, my notebook, and my maps. I had trash here in Las Vegas that needed to be taken out. A part of me feared that they knew, seeing Johnny and Billy were now part of a federal investigation, we were here. Plus, they were all linked together. They knew it, too. I feared they'd kill me. Not that I cared about dying but I only had one thing on my living agenda and that was to avenge my father's death. I'd finish before I die. I swear by it. If not, then I'd die by suicide.