25 alla Vita/ Cifre Significative

25 to Life/Significant Figures

-

"And I will execute judgments upon Moab; and they shall know that I am the LORD."

Ezekiel (25:11)

-

The house was silent when I got home. I went to my room to shower and nap. I had an agenda for tomorrow. Now, I wait for Vincent to run it by him. I hope he comes back tonight. As I turned off the water in the shower I told myself I'd call him before my nap. After my nap, I work. I would talk to Vincent then. Work would take my mind off of everything. As I stood in my t-shirt, my hair unwashed, I called him. I put my phone to my ear and listened to it as it rang twice.

It clicked on.

"Hey," I greeted. "Vincent?" I asked.

He hummed on the other side. "What?" he asked.

I paused. Why did he say "what" right away? Was he irritated? At me? At someone else? And where was he? Who was he with?

"Hello?" he repeated. "I'm busy, doll. What?" he asked in Italian but still said "doll" in English.

"Um, I was just wondering if you'd be back tonight?" I finally asked but my voice was quiet. There was a beat of silence as if he didn't hear me. I started to repeat myself at the same time he responded. When we realized we were both talking, we paused only to start again at the same time.

"Go ahead," I finally said before it would happen again.

"Tomorrow morning," he answered.

"You didn't fly out, right?" I asked.

"No, canceled. Next week," he said.

From the way he was talking I figured that he was with people. He did say he was busy.

"Alright," I sighed. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Bye-bye, Vincent," I said.

He hummed. "Bye," he said before the call clicked off.

I sighed and plugged in my phone. I crawled into bed and turned on my side. I could take an hour and a half nap before I'd have to get up to get ready for work. When I'd get back, I'd focus all my attention on my notebook.

-

Rose was in the kitchen when I came back from work. She was making dinner even though it was late at night. Freddie was sitting at the island. He had a beer next to his arm on the counter. I saw a glass of red wine near Rose as she chopped vegetables. The rice cooker was behind her on the counter.

"Fried rice?" I asked as I set my phone on the island counter.

"Yeah," Rose confirmed. "Come here," she called. She met me halfway to hug me. It was more of a half-hug because she had stuff on her hands. She quickly kissed my cheek before returning to her spot in front of the stove. She poured some oil into a pan and then added the vegetables that needed to be cooked first.

"How was work?" Freddie asked me.

"It was good." I nodded as I looked at him. He took a swig of beer as he nodded.

"Dad wouldn't want you to be working—"

"Don't say that," Rose instantly corrected before Freddie could complete his sentence. "He was fine with me working. Sure, it took some time but he was happy for me. He would feel the same way with her," she explained. I glanced down at my hands. My nails were naked. Maybe I should paint them?

Yes. I shall.

Scarlet.

"Whatever," Freddie sighed. He took another sip of his bottle of beer. "Alexis, I love you and all but you smell like fast food. Take a good two steps back from me," he said.