Sangue

Photo source- Pinterest

-

My body jumped in response. I looked over, confused about what got on me. Whatever it was was wet. My first thought was who threw a drink on me? There was a lot of yelling and harsh pops sounded off. I didn't understand until I turned my head.

A hand wrapped around my face, covering my eyes. I was tackled out of my seat. My body hit the hard floor. The chair dug into my body, breaking under me. It was a simple wooden chair. I didn't register the impact on my head. It would leave bruises but my mind didn't process that I was hit. I was reeling over something far worse.

I saw it. I saw it, I saw it. I saw it I saw it I saw itIsawitIsawitIsawit– God– no, please. Please, please, please, God, please. I'd do anything, please. I wasn't ready. He wasn't ready. I don't want this. Please, God, no. No, no, no no no nonononono.

PLEASE!

Helplessness was crushing my body.

I'm suffocating and I'm hurting and I'm confused and I'm angry and I'm frustrated and I'm alone and I'm scared and I'm sorry. I'm sorry to God for having premarital sex. I'm sorry to God for smoking. I'm sorry to God for underage drinking. I'm sorry to God for mocking my brother. I'm sorry to God for yelling at my aunt. I'm sorry to God for disrespecting my father. I'm sorry to God for fornicating. I'm sorry to God for engaging in adultery. I'm sorry to God for being a brat. I'm sorry to God for being a bitch. I'm sorry and I'm sorry and– and–

"No," I whispered, my lips moving on their own.

I struggled to get the hands off my eyes. I didn't want to believe what I just seen. I had to check because it never happened. There was no way. I imagined it. I was paranoid and pictured it. I've watched too many horror movies, and the Devil was playing mind games. It didn't happen. No, no, no.

Somehow, I got the black film off my eyes.

Red.

Rose.

Ruby.

Rufous.

Maroon.

Merlot.

Garnet.

Wine.

Sangria.

Scarlet.

Currant.

Cherry.

Carmine.

Crimson.

Blood.

Blood.

Blood.

BLOOD.

Tears were in my eyes. Blurry blurry red was all I could see. He was on the ground.

Stop crying, stop crying, stop crying. You need to see. Check, check, check!

I got on my hands and knees. The denim fabric stretched over my knees became wet. Liquid was warm under my palms. The tiles were slippery. My wet denim kept me from falling. Everyone was screaming around me but I heard none of it. My ears were ringing. My vision was blurry. I needed to focus.

"Daddy?" I whispered, trying to get closer to him. My lips were trembling. "Daddy? Dad? Say something, please–"

"Alexis!"

"Daddy–" I sobbed, bringing a hand up to cover my mouth. I was scared of making a noise. I was scared. I was scared. I was scared– oh, my God. I wanted everything to stop. My salty tears slipped down my cheeks, mixing with the blood that I accidentally smeared on my face.