Labbra di un Angelo

Lips of an Angel

-

"Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because that Moab and Seir do say, Behold, the house of Judah is like unto all the heathen;"

Ezekiel (25:8)

-

Angie held my arm as I stumbled down the sidewalk. My feet hurt. The heel on my shoe made its thinness painfully known. I felt as if it was poking through the heel of my foot. It was dark out too. Maybe the darkness would mask my insecurities? Cigarette smoke came from citizens at outdoor dining areas. It floated up my nostrils. I started to crave a cigarette. I felt that I haven't smoked in a while.

"Jeez, Alex. I didn't think you'd have three long islands," Angie mumbled, her tone light.

"And a little fruit cocktail," I added. "Man, that waiter was so mean to me. He definitely. . . had it out for me." I was trying not to stumble over my words because if I did I'd sound intoxicated. In exchange, I was pausing to make sure my words came out correctly but I don't think it helped my cause.

"I think he was just doing his job, Alex. You're still underage. I don't think you should be drinking as much as you are," she pointed out. "We're almost there. Make sure you drink some water, okay? Dad wants me back before ten because I have to leave tomorrow. I'd stay if I could," she said.

I groaned. "That fuckin' woman is going to yell at me. God– she's been annoying me. Bleh!" I muttered as my house came into view.

"Well, just get some water and some rest. You won't have to talk to your aunt," Angie explained.

Angie's car came into my vision. It looked shiny due to the lack of sunshine to expose any imperfections. It was a big car so I knew it wasn't hers. She drove a Toyota Camry. This car was a Chevrolet Trailblazer.

I stumbled up the stairs and used my key to unlock the door. There was someone by the door who offered to open it for me but I put my hand up to shoo them away. Why was someone outside of the door in the first place? How was I to make sure that he was someone my dad knew? It could be anybody!

"Alex, be safe," Angie said as she quickly hugged me before I walked in.

"Bye, Angie! Drive safe!" I called before I closed and locked the door behind me.

My head started to hurt as I staggered into my kitchen. I did as Angie said and got myself a glass and filled it with water. After I downed it, I awkwardly made my way upstairs. My grip on the handrail for the stairs was strong. I felt as if I'd slip and fall at any moment.

When I entered my room, I closed the door behind me before I slumped my purse on the coffee table. I slumped on the sofa to take off my shoes. It felt so nice to sit down. My body felt warm from sitting down. For some odd reason, my drunk walk back made me feel exhausted.

I groaned as I ran a hand through my hair. It felt like hairspray: dirty. I'd have to wash it but I always hated it. Not washing my hair but washing my hair when hairspray was in. My hair texture wouldn't be the same for the next few days. It'd take two washes and oil to bring it back. It was such a chore. Bleh!

But I knew the longer I put it off, the worse it'd get.

Slowly, I stood up. My head spun for a moment. I frowned to myself as I entered my bathroom and turned on the lights. I had to blink a few times to get accustomed to the bright bathroom light. I think I need to change those bulbs. They are entirely wayyy too bright. I walked over to the shower to start it before I stripped. After that, I took the time to brush my teeth.

Of course, before I went into the shower, I had to look at my reflection in the mirror.

My image sobered me up quicker than any amount of water or sleep could. There wasn't much more to be disappointed in. I was extra bloated.