CHAPTER 14

A full month had passed, exams were approaching and it had been a month since Ali stopped attending school.  No one was talking about him anymore.  We were all used to it, not having him in class anymore I could almost finish my feelings towards him.  Now I was at my desk sorting out some school stuff.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the sky was cloudless, despite this there was still a light wind.  It had started March so the days were getting longer.  Tomorrow March 22 will be the most important day;  I will celebrate my eighteenth birthday.  Everything was ready or at least I hope so!  Where this birthday had so many advantages it also had defects.  I mean, I'm happy, I'll finally be able to have my driving licence, but on the other hand, my mum was bothering me.  Who knows how many proposals she will tell.  I won't even be able to say no, using the "excuse" of study.  Tomorrow I intend to have a small party at school with my classmates and for that I ask to Areeba for advice. And now I'm going shopping with Dad for cake, snacks, drinks, candles and decorations.  On my way back while I was in the car I received a text from Areeba; "Mustfa told me Ali is coming to school tomorrow".  When I read it I didn't feel that tingling sensation in my hands or tickling in my tummy, nothing, like nothing happened!  I didn't even want to answer because I wanted to enjoy the day before the birthday.  In the evening, when I prepared my backpack and bag to take to school, I was a bit anxious thinking that tomorrow, after almost a month and a half, he would be at school, in class and sitting next to me.
Finally it was my birthday today, by midnight I had received hundreds of messages for birthday wishes.  I was super excited, I couldn't wait to celebrate it.  Before entering the class I took a deep breath, even though I said I had forgotten him, the fact of having him in the class made my heart rate increase.  I heard a loud 'Happy Birthday' when I stepped into the classroom, I was so lost for the first 10 minutes thanking everyone that I forgot about Ali in class.  The best decision I may have made was not to go to my usual place near Ali but the one near Mustfa.  I only made this decision because it was the only free seat otherwise I would never have sat there.  In an instant I saw Ali's expression change, and it made me angry that thing. Now I knew that he was engaged but this time it was him that was forgettingand, why he wanted me to get next to him .  When the professors saw him they wanted explanations.  Ali will change city for some reason at home and therefore he didn't even want to attend school anymore.  Today he had just come to say goodbye and tomorrow he would leave for another city!  When I heard this I felt something inside because in the end he was still there for some time in my heart but I didn't let that influence me.  At the last lesson, after having decorated the whole class, we celebrated my birthday, I cut the cake and my classmates also gave me some presents.  The hour in good company flew by and now I had to go home to celebrate my proper eighteenth birthday.  I was walking while talking to Areeba about what she was going to wear to the party and I saw Ali, I wanted to change the exit but I was forced by my steps that wouldn't stop. And bhom now I find him in front of me, as if he was waiting for me. 
Ali: I have to tell you one thing
Areeba left us alone, even though I didn't want to and I said
Minahil: No Areeba stay here
Ali: Sure, she can stay here too
Areeba: No no.  I'll wait for you outside Minahil.
And with that she was gone.  I don't know why but today in front of him I felt particularly confident and courageous. 
Minahl: Tell me!
Ali: So now you talk to me like this, I'm the same Ali you like
Minahil: No, I correct you, Ali I liked! 
Ali: Liked!  Minahil I hope I hope...i never see you again
Minahli: I hope so too
I said making a tight fist and I saw that there was silence between the two of us for at least ten seconds while we were staring into each other's eyes. I just couldn't hold back  myself from his gaze and when I noticed I lowered my eyes.
Ali: I have to give you this back.
I was shocked but I didn't show it, it was my rubber band that I always wore on the wrist of my right hand, I didn't even know why he had it, I thought I had lost it but no! 
Minahil: This...thanks
Ali: Can I put it on your right hand?
How did he know that  and here I had finished all my initial estimate, my body had lost control but I added saying
Minahil: No!  you know you should be more faithful to your fiancé.  Being a girl, I would never want my boyfriend to do these things with other girls.  And then if you really love her you should tell your parents and not hide it, I'm sure that's the same thing she would like too. 
Ali: But you didn't tell your parents that you liked me..
Minahil: I would if you gave me a positive answer. 
I took my rubber band  and turned around. Ali said "Minahil  please wait" and I felt my whole body shiver. 
Ali: sure you don't want to add anything, after it will be too late.  And happy birthday my mate.
Minahli: The sun is rasing...farewell my moon!
And I left.  Areeba was waiting for me, she didn't ask me nothing about this because she knew I didn't want to spoil the most important day