Chapter 22

<3 Happy reading loves. Remember to comment please :)

Amelia's POV:  Develop some positive affirmations

"So you are alive," River says sarcastically as he steps through my front door and into the living room. He looks down at me. "Mostly anyway-"

I look fine. Well, I don't. It has been a little while since I last showered.

But that is rude.

He smiles at me. "I was worried about you."

"Come on in," I mumble, even though he is already placing his bag on the couch.

He turns back around to me. "I have come here because Darcie may have mentioned you were sad."

I frown.

He shakes his head. "Which you're not allowed to be mad at because she cares about you a lot and was just worried."

I am not mad. "Don't tell me what I can and can't feel."

He nods. "You want tea?"

I smile slightly. "Everyone keeps asking me that."

River smiles at my smile. "So, is that a no?"

I shrug. "Er, well my tea from earlier is cold."

He chuckles, heads into the kitchen, and I just helplessly follow. He carelessly flicks the kettle on and then turns around to look at me.

I lean against the door, tired from standing for like two minutes.

"Why'd you let me come up?" He asks quietly. "I didn't even need to convince you."

I shrug.

He narrows his eyes slightly but then softens his face. "We got a ninety on the presentation-"

"You got a ninety for us." I correct him.

He smiles. "I think my clear charisma and connection with the hot-ass professor only carried us to an eighty-"

Our professor is not traditionally hot. He's old, and he's stern, and his glasses are thicker than the bridge of the nose they sit on.

"I know the rest of the grade was because we all did a good job." He says.

I smile.

I got through that presentation. I may have held the anxiety back so much that when it was over, I couldn't do anything other than let it flood through me.

But I held it together before that. So at least there is that.

He nods. "So yeah."

"Thank you for getting Darcie the other day. Thank you for getting us back here. I'm sorry for well, you know."

He nods again. He doesn't joke or tease. He just sincerely nods once and then turns his back to me to reach up and grab two mugs.

"I'm going to get the old one from my room," I say quietly.

"Alright." He replies, so I slip away, heading back to my bedroom, and cringe at the mess in my bedroom. I open the curtains to the window, letting some late afternoon sunshine in. I also open my window because it's warm as hell in here, and fresh air is needed.

I look down at the street below and wonder if anyone can see me up here. I guess not.

"Hey," River says from behind me, and I tense, turning around.

"I was just coming back," I say. "Sorry, got distracted-"

"No stress." He says, walking into my room and he places the mugs down on the side just like Darcie had done earlier today. River kicks off his shoes by the side of my bed and then just gets in.