Axel sits up on the couch and rubs his eyes. "Mama, will you rub my back?"

"Yeah, baby." He pulls his shirt off before laying across my lap and closing his eyes again. My palm finds its way to his warm skin, and I start slow strokes up and down his soft baby-like skin.

Atta girl is what my thoughts say at Hannah Wells acing the midterm, unlike everybody else.

By the time Declan messages me again, I've read five chapters, and am ready for more.

Declan: I'm team Garrett all the way
Me: It's been five chapters, how?
Declan: You were only supposed to read three!
Me: I got lost in it. Oops. Anyways, I'm not team Justin, but I'm not sure I'm team Garrett yet either.
Declan: He's hilarious.
Me: And he also can't take no for an answer
Declan: Fair. But, can you blame him? He's doing it for his team, and his career. Hannah was also being insanely rude about it.
Me: Maybe because he wouldn't leave her alone. I'd've been the same way

My phone starts ringing and I shake my head but answer.

"But you weren't the same way." Declan's deep voice comes through the phone.

"You weren't to the point of stalking me yet. I was giving it another week before you started." I tell him as I bookmark the page I'm on.

"Mommy," Axel whines and I resume rubbing his back.

"I don't know that I would've considered it stalking, but I definitely would've kept bugging you." I can hear the cheeky grin from here. "You got dinner for the night? I can bring something over."

I let out a yawn before answering. "Was just going to heat up a frozen pizza, but thanks."

"Nah. I'll bring something over. What do you want, you picky eater? Chinese? Thai? McDonald's?"

"All three of those options sound terrible."

"Have you ever even had Thai?"

"No." I blush, even though he's not even here. "But I do like Chinese, and it just doesn't sound appealing at the moment."

"What about Chick-fil-A? Everybody likes waffle fries."

"You don't have to bring me food, seriously."

"Which means you didn't veto the restaurant, therefore Chick-fil-A is what we're having for dinner. What do you want? Let me guess, Chicken sandwich--with no pickles-- or chicken nuggets?"

I giggle softly, looking down at Axel asleep across my lap. "Spicy chicken sandwich, actually. And yeah, no pickles."

"Spicy, huh? Interesting. Fries?"

"Hmm, let's go with mac-n-cheese tonight."

Declan's chuckle comes through the phone. "Solid choice. Drink?"

"Dr.Pepper."

"I think you're my fucking soulmate, now." His laugh lets me know he's joking, but that doesn't stop my toes from curling.

"Why's that?"

"Dr.Pepper is my favorite."

*

"Order for Macy?" Declan grins as he stands on the other side of the door holding up a white bag with red letters in one hand, and a drink carrier in the other.

"That would be me." I grin and take the food and drinks from his hand and kick the door shut.

Declan pushes his hand through and stops it from closing and I turn and hurry to the kitchen.