17

Week 8

"Merry Christmas," the text from Joel said Sunday morning.

"We need to use condoms," I wrote back. "Merry Christmas."

A laughing emoji came first. And I wanted to strangle the sender. Then he wrote, "I rather not."

"I was ovulating last week."

Then he had the nerve to send a shrugging emoji and "I guess we are too late now. I thought you were on BC."

I dropped the phone on the bed. If I keep this conversation up, I would literally commit murder on JC's birthday and my mom would frown on that.

I went downstairs and spent the day with my parents. Surprisingly they only made a few comments about Ryan and their lack of grandchildren: "Christmas is so much more magical with children around." "Ryan always got us the nicest gifts." "We are going to be too old to enjoy grandbabies." "Ryan emailed that he missed us and wished us a happy holiday season."

I would just make the requisite noises to show I heard them. But my mind was elsewhere.

About 1:00 PM the doorbell rang. "I'll get it," I called to my mother as she brought out the last of the food for lunch.

When I opened the door, Garrett greeted me with a smile. "Oh thank goodness," he said as if he wasn't expecting me to answer the door.

"What are you-? Is Joel okay?!" I was all of a sudden worried. Garrett wouldn't drive several hours for nothing. Especially on Christmas day. But why get me?

"Yeah, yeah. Joel's fine. He was concerned about you. You weren't answering his texts or calls. So he sent me here to check in on you. We figured it would be less awkward-"

"Sadie! Who is this?!" My mother called as she came up behind me.

I looked at Garrett for an answer, but he remained silent. "This is Garrett. He works with me at the firm."

"Oh? And he came all this way on Christmas day for..." My mother sounded hopeful.

"Just tell her, Sade," Garrett said with a wink.

"Garrett," I hissed with my teeth clenched. What did he think I should say?

"I missed her," Garrett said to my mother who was now gripping my arm.

"Oh?" Mother said slyly. "Missed her? Sounds a little more than a working... Oh, where are my manners!? Come inside!"

Garrett smiled and accepted her invitation. "Lovely home Mrs. Dawson."

"Thank you. We were just about it sit for lunch. Please join us."

"That would be lovely," Garrett said as he followed my mother into the dining room. She sat Garrett beside me and served up the food.

After mom finally settled into her seat, she explained to my dad why we had a guest. Dad just gave Garrett an assessing and withering look as though he didn't buy his reason for being here.

"Now, Garrett, be honest," my mom said with a conspiratorial look. "Are you two dating?"

"Mom!" I gasped.

"Well, Mrs. Dawson, Sadie didn't want me to say anything but..." Garrett paused and took my hand in his. "We are dating."

It was as though Garrett Morris gave my mother the best Christmas gift possible - she was beaming. I could imagine her head filled with images of a marriage and grandchildren. Then a thought came to mind: if I am pregnant, then everyone at the table would be the grandparents. It was enough to make me shudder - but I held it in.