Chapter Thirteen: Intuition

[Wei Zhenyu pictured above. No editing, stealing, or using my art without my consent, please.]
[This chapter feels so rushed and I hate it, but idc I just wanna update already 😭 HERES A LONG CHAPTER, EAT UP 🤩]
[CW: Mentions of vomiting. I will put another warning right before the scene.]

"Hah!"

THUD!

"Ugh..."

"Alright, time's up!"

[Name] grimaced from where he was sprawled out on the mat. He could feel his blue sanda uniform sticking to his back from his sweat, as well as the way that his skin was practically radiating with his body heat. [Blonde, black, etc.] hair splayed out like mini waterfalls around his head and he squinted from the fluorescent lights shining directly into his face. Fortunately, he was saved from further luminescent torture by a shadow looming over his fallen figure. An outstretched hand entered his field of vision and he accepted the offered help to get back on his feet.

"Xièxiè," he muttered in thanks.

"Bù yòng xiè (You're welcome)."

After bowing to each other, [Name] and his sparring partner, a Japanese boy around his age, stood at attention as they awaited further instruction from their teacher. After each sanda lesson, the class would be paired up for some light sparring to test the methods they had learned. Today was no different.

"Good work! I can see that some of you are improving and some need a few more pointers," their sifu (or master), a Chinese-American man named Wei Zhenyu, exclaimed with a small smile. He's one of Mey's close friends and [Name]'s trainer of 3 years (although they've known each other since the latter was 8). "Try not to stress about it! Everyone learns at a different pace and progress is progress, no matter how small it may be. With that said, remember to do those exercises I told you about! Now get outta my dojo, you little punks."

Everyone collectively bowed before dispersing to the locker rooms to get ready for their showers. Well, most of them anyway. [Name] wiped the sweat from his brow and his nose scrunched up a little at the feeling of his eyepatch sticking to his eyelid. He started to turn around to follow his fellow students but stopped when he saw Zhenyu waving him down.

"Hua! Can I speak to you for a moment?"

"Yes, sir."

[Name] walked up to the long-haired man and waited to hear whatever it was that the sifu wanted to say. Zhenyu's lime-green pupils flickered across the shorter boy's stoic expression for a fleeting moment before he finally started to say what he initially wanted to.

"So, Xiao Hua, what's going on? Are you having an off day?" The teen's gaze shifted a little at the question. Of course Zhenyu was perceptive to the performance of his students. It's part of what made him such a good teacher, although it did make it difficult to hide things from him. Not that he would ever pry.

"Something like that."

Zhenyu hummed, his previous smile thinning out a little as he studied [Name]'s body language regarding the topic. Eventually, the corners of his mouth curled back up and he placed his hands on his hips. "My dojo is always open for you. Forget and I'll hold you in a headlock until it's engraved into your memory."

A lone [EyeColor(s)] eye drifted back to his elder and he nodded firmly. "You say that every time, Wei shúshu (uncle)."

"Exactly, so there's no excuse saying that you forgot. Now go wash up, you're all sweaty and gross."

[Name] wordlessly did as he was told and headed for the showers to scrub off the icky feeling of sweat clinging to his skin. He went to his own stall with his things, took off his eyepatch, and stood underneath the running shower head for a few seconds. His eyes slipped shut and his mind wandered as the cool water hit his skin and hair.