Chapter Four: Red Seal Letters

[Kigaru Mey pictured above. No editing, stealing, or using my art without my consent, please.]

[Sorry for not updating last week! I was feeling off and didn't wanna push it, but I'm doing better now!!]

••• A Week Later •••

"You worry an awful lot. Doesn't it ever tire you out?" [Name] asked Midoriya from where he sat on the All Might-themed bed. He didn't wait for a response and continued talking, "Failing the entrance exam doesn't mean you can't be a pro hero."

Midoriya looked up to face his monotone friend. He dared to have hope at those words, worried dark-green eyes clashing with a half-lidded [EyeColor(s)] one. [Name] saw the hopeful expression that dawned on the freckled boy's face and he paused for a moment, "... That also doesn't mean that you can. Realistically speaking, it would be nearly impossible for a Quirkless person to thrive as a pro hero. There are dozens of villains with powerful Quirks that no regular person can withstand. At least not with their lives."

Midoriya noticeably deflated, his shoulders dropping and his head hanging low in dejection. [Name] instantly picked up on the disappointment and sadness wafting off of him, although he himself didn't seem fazed by what he said. His gaze drifted from the sulking boy to the bare ceiling with a quiet hum, "But... I have a feeling that you'll be fine. I know it isn't wise to lean on intuition alone, but something tells me that everything will turn out alright."

'... That's the dumbest thing you've said today.'

[Name] got up from the bed with a sigh and adjusted the collar of his button-up shirt. "Regardless, there's no use beating yourself up over your performance. It won't change anything and will only serve to make you feel worse."

When he received no answer, he turned around to see what had gotten Midoriya to go quiet all of a sudden. He was met with wide, teary eyes that made him stop in his tracks. [Name] knew that if anyone else was in his position, they most likely wouldn't outright tell Midoriya that he couldn't become a hero while being Quirkless. Some would even go so far as to say that what he said was rude and inconsiderate. Even so, [Name] was never one to sugarcoat his words. It just wasn't what he was taught to do.

It took Mey a while to help him dull his sharp tongue.

Despite that, he still felt a pang of guilt in his chest when he saw Midoriya's teary face.

What the hell are you supposed to do when someone is crying in front of you?

"Midoriya-"

"Thank you..."

"Pardon?"

The freckled teenager wiped at his eyes and sniffled, "For believing in me, I mean."

...

'Ugh, this is so awkward... You suck at socializing.'

[Name] shifted uncomfortably and turned away from his friend. He could faintly sense a figure approaching the room and took the opportunity to change the subject. "Mrs. Midoriya is heading this way, presumably to call us for supper. We should go."

Right on time, two light knocks came from the bedroom door before it opened to reveal Inko. She smiled warmly at the two boys, somehow oblivious to the slightly tense atmosphere, "Dinner is ready."

Both boys followed Inko out into the dining room where Mey was arranging the plates and utensils on the table. Once everything was set up, they took their seats with the teenagers sitting directly across from the adults. Everyone said their thanks and began to eat in mutual silence that was accompanied by the light taps of their chopsticks. It wasn't until [Name] glanced up from his rice did he notice that Inko and Mey were shooting looks of concern to the boy next to him. He shifted his attention from them to Midoriya, pausing when he saw the way that he was staring at his fish. Midoriya held an empty smile with a blank look in his eyes that would make anyone question whether or not he had a few screws loose.