Chapter 35

Red Door

Imagine a no humanity vampire is like a puppet. The darkness that consumes them is the master of this puppet pulling at the strings. As each string gets cut, the closer that vampire gets to walking out of the darkness that controls them.

Sometimes the universe has strange ways of teaching you things and taking you on these journeys. And sometimes when you think your dream has been broken, a better one comes along. Or something happens that you weren't expecting.

Klaus knew deep down that the journey to bring Lola's humanity back was never going to be a simple one, nor a quick one. But he wasn't focusing on that, he was focusing on how far Lola has already came. There may be some distance to cover but that doesn't discount the progress already made.

This morning Lola wouldn't have thought twice to save Klaus moments before Mikael would have had his way and stakes Klaus with the white oak. Instead she saved Klaus, imbedding Papa Tunde's blade through Mikael's chest with no hesitation, with a familiar look in her eyes. She seemed almost electrified, lit from within.

Only an hour ago, Lola's goal was to get the white oak to use against the father of her child and yet she stands in front of him. Only an hour ago, she would be repulsed to be this close in proximity to the hybrid, especially as his hand intertwines with hers. Only an hour ago, she would've snatched her hand out of his within seconds but now there is a part of her deep inside that has no desire to let go ever again.

It felt like time had frozen within the darkness of this tunnel and gazing into each other's eyes was the light that was guiding them out. But with the smallest flicker in Lola's eyes, the darkness takes over. She pulls her hand away from Klaus, clearing her throat as she takes a step back, "You should—"

If Lola hadn't looked away at that moment, she wouldn't have missed the pained look in Klaus' eyes. She wouldn't have missed how his entire posture immediately turned tense as soon as she let go. Klaus watches Lola standing in the middle of the woods, expecting her to turn around to face him but she doesn't. With a deep sigh, he turns on his heel walking towards a now unconscious Mikael on the ground before placing him in the trunk of the car.

It was nightfall and yet it felt like the sun was at its peak in the middle of a desert, Lola's skin felt like it was on fire. It was as though she could feel the walls that were covering any ounce of humanity crumbling away and she hated it. Shifting slightly in her spot she feels her foot hit something hard. The silver metallic drip that the moons glow bounces off catches her attention first before her eyes widen.

Briefly looking over her shoulder she sees just as Klaus closes the trunk. Taking a deep breath, Klaus' hands remain on the closed trunk for a moment as he comes to terms with everything that has happened today alone and what his next action would be. He looks towards where Lola stands as she turns to the side when he is able to see her holding onto the white oak stake.

Lola looked up from the stake in her hands in a state of complexity or hesitation. Klaus couldn't figure it out himself. She looks towards Klaus walking towards her for less than a second before gesturing to her car behind him, "I know it's only been five minutes but I'd have thought you'd replace the blade with the white oak by now."

Klaus wears a placid smile as he shrugs, "It's quite satisfying knowing that he's in pain. It would be foolish if I end his pain quickly. I have to say given your determination to get your hands on that stake.." His stare goes to the stake in Lola's hand as her grip tightens ever so slightly, "I'm surprised you haven't used it on me yet."