Chapter 27

The Battle of New Orleans

There are losses that rearrange the world. Deaths can change the way you see everything, grief that tears everything down. Pain that transports you to an entirely different universe, even while everyone else thinks nothing has really changed.

The sun is just about to begin rising as Klaus anxiously paces around the courtyard. The grip on his phone is so severe, it's seconds away from the entire thing breaking into two. Until, he hears what he's been listening out for ever since he ended the call earlier that night.

Quickly glancing around upwards in the courtyard, towards the balconies to assure no one is there, Klaus then walks towards the entrance of the compound where he's greeted with Stefan who barely acknowledges the hybrid in front of him as he storms further inside, "Where is she?"

"Stefan, wait." Klaus grabs hold of Stefan's arm, forcing him to stop from stepping further into the courtyard. Stefan inhales a sharp breath before turning back to face Klaus, looking displeased. Klaus glances away before looking back at the youngest Salvatore with guilt filling his eyes, "You can't tell her."

Stefan scoffs pushing Klaus' hand off him before glaring at him, "You're seriously telling me that I can't tell my own sister that our brother is dead?" Stefan is just about to step further into the courtyard but Klaus vamp speeds in front of him, "Get out of my way, Klaus."

Holding his hand out to block Stefan, the hybrid's tone becomes more stern, "The only priority I have right now is making sure that Lola doesn't feel any more stress than she already has. She almost..." He closes his eyes, swallowing harshly, "She almost died yesterday."

The pained expression on Klaus' face was all Stefan needed to know it wasn't just some ploy of the hybrid's. Stefan's shoulders sink feeling like something has just hit him in the chest, "What?"

Klaus jaw tightens as he relives what happened yesterday, still having to fight back the anger and not having anyone to take it out on, "The witches in this city will stop at nothing to put Lola and our child in harm. They hexed her, she was stuck on the other side, Mikael was there and tried to kill her. Thankfully, they weren't alone; your aunt stopped him from hurting Lola. But, we saved her before she was able to say a proper goodbye to Cora and she was hysterical."  

"Charlotte," Elijah's voice from the other side of the courtyard catches both of their attentions. They see Elijah smiling towards Lola who walks out, "How are you feeling?"

Klaus' hand grasps Stefan's shoulder, pushing him out of the light so they aren't seen just yet, "The baby will be born within a few weeks, we need to wait until then to tell Lola." An unsure Stefan looks away from Klaus, conflicted about keeping something like this from his sister but deep down knowing Klaus is right. Klaus catches Stefan's conflicted stare, "Stefan, we have had our fair share of differences but it's safe to say one thing we can agree on is that we both want to protect Lola. I truly am sorry about Damon but please, don't tell her yet."

The younger Salvatore's eyes soften looking over Klaus' shoulder to an oblivious Lola who stands laughing with Elijah, having no idea one of her brothers is standing fifty feet away from her and the other is dead. Seeing how his sister has blossomed being in New Orleans forms a lump in Stefan's throat knowing if he mentions Damon right now, it will all be destroyed. Stefan's hand rubs against his clenched jaw before he nods, "She will know something is up because he isn't here. It's Lola, she's gonna figure it out."

Klaus grips the back of Stefan's neck, giving him a knowing glance, "Then it is our responsibility to make sure she doesn't."

The conversation between Elijah and Lola is brought to a halt when she spots Klaus in the corner of her eye stepping into the courtyard. Her smile is broad, turning her attention towards him, "There you are. We were about to organise a search party. What were you—"