Chapter 3

Twisted Sisters

Lola's eyes slowly open at the faint sounds of moment from downstairs. There's one split moment she thinks she's still in Mystic Falls which is until she realises the bedroom she's in right now isn't the one she shared with Klaus back home.

Darkness seeps through, the only source of light is the moon shining through. She didn't even realise she fell asleep not long after her phone call with Damon and Stefan, completely exhausted from everything that's happened over the last few days.

She descends down the staircase to see one room lit with candles. Growing curious, Lola walks further to the room to see Klaus adding more candles onto the table.

Noticing Lola's presence, he turns around and smiles over to her, "You weren't supposed to see this yet."

Lola smiles over to him as she walks further into the room, "What's the occasion?"

"Does one need an occasion to do something like this?" Klaus takes Lola's hand, pulling a chair out for her before sitting opposite her.

Lola narrows her eyes towards him, her eyes shining with mischief, "You arranging things like this is what got us into this mess in the first place."

She clears her throat and shifts slightly in her seat, already finding the next thing she is bringing up awkward, "Speaking of, we've barely spoken since we both got here. There's an elephant in the room which is apparently going to get bigger as the months go by and we should really speak about it."

Without even thinking her nails start digging into the palm of her hand as she continues to grow anxious which worsens when it looks as though Klaus isn't listening, instead he takes his phone from his pocket as a message pings.

"Nik," Lola practically whispers his name but still makes him look up from his phone, "Are you okay about everything that was said?"

"I am fine." Klaus assures as he leans over the table, pouring Lola a glass of water, "Things will get better, love. I promise you that."

"Better in what way?"

"We won't have to stay in this dusty home much longer." Klaus gestures around the room they're in, which is partly still surrounded by dust, "I am going to make it my goal for us to be back in our home. I'll continue acting like an old friend of Marcel's, gain his trust, figure out how he has created the empire he has and take it from him."

Lola sits back in her seat, narrowing her gaze at Klaus, "Then what?"

Klaus wears a smug grin as he looks over to her, "I'll be king. We'll have everything back that was taken from us a hundred years ago. We can say goodbye to Mystic Falls for good and make this city our home again."

Lola glances down at her hands on top of her lap, she twists around her ring before glancing around the room, "Where's Elijah?"

Klaus' expression turns cold, "Were you not listening to what I've just been saying?"

Lola shrugs her shoulders nonchalant, "Well if you're planning to take New Orleans from Marcel I'd have thought Elijah would be part of this plan."

"You think wrong." Klaus throws his fork onto his plate, "Elijah has left."

Lola laughs slightly as she shakes her head, "Elijah wouldn't just leave."