v. family issues

WORD COUNT: [2560]

WORD COUNT: [2560]

————

Lorraine wasn't sure what she'd do that day. It was a Saturday and she had spent it, so far, alone. She still had three hours before midday also, which didn't excite her. The time had been going slowly. Painstakingly slow.

Then she considered talking to Professor Snape about a Draught of Peace. Her nausea had gotten worse throughout the week and she could already feel it weakening her body. No longer could she keep much food down and she was beginning to grow concerned with the attention that it was drawing to her. Ron had gotten worried, and so had Hermione--both expressed their worries for her health.

She didn't know what else to do.

"Professor?" she called softly as she knocked on Snape's closed classroom door.

"Come in," his voice drawled from within the room. Lorraine turned the doorknob and, with a piercing squeak, opened the door. She approached his desk with her hands wrung behind her back and sat in the seat across from him once he motioned to it.

"I need a Draught of Peace," she said bluntly, knowing that the teacher appreciated straightforwardness. "I've had this awful anxiety for a while now and I-I just can't stop it. I'm willing to pay."

Snape was silent for a moment as he examined her body language. Then he shook his head.

"No," he said simply. Lorraine furrowed her eyebrows and tried to comprehend why he would deny such a request.

"W-What?" was all she could say, which elicited a soft sigh from him.

"I will be teaching you how to make such a potion in class. I will offer you the classroom and any materials needed to make such a potion yourself. I'm not the only one here that believes you need a distraction."

"A-A hobby?" she sputtered.

"Don't be so surprised, Miss Winters. What do you do to distract yourself?"

"I--What? Professor, with all due respect, this is uncharacteristically..." she trailed off, not knowing what word to use as she didn't even know the intentions behind his words.

"Miss Winters, you do nothing except spend time with Weasley, Potter, and Granger. It does not take a genius to see your lack of...hobbies, as you call them."

Lorraine sat, dumbfounded, as she processed his words. She was so much easier to read than she thought. How had Snape--a man that cares only for himself--noticed such a thing about her, and why would he want to help her?