vii. tournament competitors

WORD COUNT: [1928]

WORD COUNT: [1928]

————

"Cedric," Lorraine greeted the sixth year as she sat beside him at the Hufflepuff table. The Goblet of Fire was yet to make a decision on who to choose, but it was going to make that decision that night. The many students that would skip the assemblies were all gathered in the hall, all waiting in anticipation for the Goblet to make its decision.

"Hey, Lorrie," Cedric chirped, eating a big spoonful of the macaroni and cheese on his plate. A grin was visible on his face as he chewed, watching Lorraine's expression contort into that of confusion.

"So, Lorrie...got your eye on anyone?" one of his friends, Jacob Finch, asked suggestively, eyes shifting between Cedric and Lorraine.

"Uh...excuse me?" she asked with furrowed eyebrows. Her hand, which was reaching for her cup, stopped mid-way at the question. She hadn't been asked that before...by anyone. Her friends at Ilvermorny were all born into death-eater families and didn't consider romance as a possibility for them. The same went for her parents, who both expected her to be uninterested in the idea of romance. Although, the heart wants what it wants and Lorraine had once developed a crush on her best friend, Samantha, at Ilvermorny. She was laughed at and taken as a joke when she shared her feelings.

She chose not to speak about her heart's desires after that.

"A crush! Have you got a crush on anyone?" Beatrice Haywood, a certainly beautiful but nosy Hufflepuff, clarified. She was a seventh year and one of Cedric's friends along with her sister, Penny. Lorraine hadn't ever seen Penny because she had already graduated five years ago, but she had heard good things about the girl. It seemed she and Cedric had gone through quite a lot during their years at school together.

"I can assure you that I hold no affection for anyone here," Lorraine reassured the group, to which they all chuckled.

"Sure, keep it a secret," Beatrice teased, eliciting a roll of Lorraine's eyes.

"And you, Haywood? Since you seem so excited about this topic?"

It was the seventh year's turn to deny the accusations, "No, no, I don't have a crush."

"I'm sure she does," Cedric snickered. "She seems to have a new one every week."

Beatrice's face went bright red and she exclaimed, "Did Penny tell you?! I-It's not my fault that I find even the smallest act of kindness attractive!"

Lorraine let herself laugh at the girl's flustered exclamations, which seemed to cause the others to laugh too. Spending time with Cedric and his friends was certainly delightful. She couldn't deny how much fun she had with the group, especially with Cedric and his ridiculous antics when it came to convincing her to join the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. Of course, she wouldn't admit that she found delight in Hufflepuffs to her parents, but it was nice to admit to herself. She had begun to doubt her parents' stereotypes about how muggleborns and half-bloods were only selfish. It seemed progressively more ridiculous the more she spent time with them. All they had ever been was nice and welcoming towards her. It was...nice to be able to feel like the world wasn't constantly out to get her.